Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Hump Day Two-Fer

Rise Up
Dear readers, my crazy job and life have led me to be REMISS in my shameless pimping of Ohio biggest outdoor bluegrass event of the year. This weekend marks the Seventh Annual Appalachian Uprising in Scottstown, Ohio, nestled in the Appalachian foothills of the heart of it all. Three days of the top bands of bluegrass in the Ohio countryside – what could be better? Four days! Featured artists this year include the Grascals, Nashville Bluegrass Band, the Steel Drivers, Larry Keel and Natural Bridge, and Fest favorites Melvin Goins and Sam Bush. There's something for everyone, like the off-beat Avett Brothers. Sample the lineup here.

A big Shout Out to Steve Adamski and Apparition Productions – I hope I can hear all ya’ll all the way up here in Northeast Ohio!


Keel Over at the Kent Stage

Can't make it to Scottstown this weekend? Then join me tomorrow night (Thursday, June 5) at the Kent Stage to hear Larry Keel and Natural Bridge, as they warm up for AU! Keel and his band build their music around some of the best flatpicking in the business and take the sound into some less traditional places with the vocals. An excellent evening of acoustic music in the making. Visit their MySpace page here for a sampling. A particlar favorite of mine is The Ocracoke Song. My sis and I spent many summer days along the Hatteras shoreline, and Ocracoke is a favorite place of hers. It's an island that almost takes you back in time. In this song, there are lots of references to just how close German U boats got to the States. Some of them still sleep at the bottom of the Atlantic there off the Outer Banks.
Summer weather is making a real comeback here this weekend, perfect for picking under the trees. Be sure to keep your instruments safe during the temperature swings.
Enjoy!
MM

6 Comments:

At June 05, 2008 8:35 AM, Blogger DrDon said...

Blue - I just wrote a post that made a disparaging comment about "hump day" and then I click on your blog and see you put it in the title of your post! Just wanted you to know the two were simply a coincidence. Pretty funny.

 
At June 05, 2008 11:54 AM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

You mean, Mando...lol

Anyway, that is pretty funny. I haven't seen your new post yet and I probably would wonder where it came from!

It was a totally random title...I don't usually cheap out on myself but this whole week has been kinda busy and yet there's a lot of good stuff coming down the pike that I didn't want to let slide any further. I hope none of the bluegrass folks take it the wrong way!

Mm

 
At June 06, 2008 8:22 AM, Blogger DrDon said...

Actually, I did mean Blue, as in Bluegrass, but then after checking your blog out I went to Blueberry's and thought, "Hmm, probably shouldn't have called Mando Blue." But, it was too late.

 
At June 06, 2008 11:11 AM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

This is a case where you just can't win for losin'. But I'm always glad you stop by.

Folks, Larry Keel was SO good and the show was SO empty. :-( Keel is known for his flatpicking and he's got a wonderful quiet power about him, but I was totally riveted by the banjo player, who didn't say two words the whole night but his playing was some of the most fluid and flawless playing I've ever heard, so even and just smooth as water trickling in a stream.

 
At June 06, 2008 3:10 PM, Blogger Blueberry said...

For the Love of Blueberry! ;-)

I like that kind of Appalachian Uprising much better than the recent one we just saw in the elections, along with all the ripple effects and repercussions.

 
At June 07, 2008 7:21 AM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Hee heee!

Yeah, Blueberry, me too. I've already told the kids that they'll be working between now and November. Son of Mando in particular is old enough to learn the good, bad,and ugly of election season. Heck, forget my redneck roots in the WV Panhandle, we're also not too far here from notorious Youngstown OH, ground zero of, well, I better not say in case I get bumped off. It's going to take a lot of work to put things back together.

I am so lame for not going to AU. Tons of folks will be there. It's about 4 hours highway and backroad travel from here. I hope to go next year and take the kids the year after that. I have no camping chops to speak of so I need to work on that. I almost took the kids this year (Son of Mando can pitch a tent), but in retrospect, it's about 95 degrees and about 95 percent humidity down there, which might have made for an uneven experience for my lil'est one.

Another reason IBMA is so awesome--kids under 16 FREE, if you can live with taking them out of school for a day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home