Sunday, May 11, 2008

Just Another Day Up the Hill

Today is Mother's Day. I'm sorry I didn't get on here earlier to wish all my favorite mothers a happy mother's day. Some are mothers to cats and some to humans, but all y'all are wonderful at taking care of your families.

For me, Mother's Day is no different from any other day I'm with my kids. I'm just lucky I have 'em at all, and that I haven't allowed them to get hit by a car or a falling tree. To date, no broken bones, one trip to the ER each for a stitch or four, and only enough ear infections between the two of them to count on one hand. These small victories are what we savor, the knowledge that after 13 or so years, the kids are still alive and breathing and in one piece. We only hope it continues until they are old enough and in a position to take care of us in a manner better than that to which we are accustomed.

Meanwhile we sweat and toil and do our best every day to keep our heads above water. Well, at least that's how it is here, today no exception. The song that really goes with today isn't available out there for a quick listen; if I had my way, you'd be hearing Claire Lynch do the Osborn Brothers' old favorite, "Up This Hill and Down". But, Claire is a good match for the day anyway. She's got a certain determined sound that I really like, and her songs are always delivered with terrific punch. Here's one of the first bluegrass tunes to get under my skin five or six years ago. It's called If Wishes Were Horses and I imagine I'm not the only mother singing a tune like this. This is for all those mothers who just can't settle, who will go on being the women they were meant to be along with raising fine people up, no matter what it means, no matter what you have to tell your own mama. Mine did her best, and I'm going to do my best not to let her down by being less than I can be, and that includes letting people get away with the imbecilic stuff that made her crazy when she was still around. Being a lady, she kept her mouth shut and her gun put away, bless her heart.

Happy Mother's Day to all the maverick mamas I'm lucky to know.

If Wishes Were Horses

4 Comments:

At May 13, 2008 7:56 AM, Blogger Blueberry said...

Come on over and see how I spent Mother's Day.

 
At May 13, 2008 8:53 PM, Blogger Shameless Agitator said...

Happy Mothers Day to you too, Mando!

Love,
Shameless

 
At May 13, 2008 9:01 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

OH BLUEBERRY! That is awesome. I should repost your post!

Dag, and one of my very favoritist tunes. So incredible!

 
At May 14, 2008 7:43 AM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Shameless! Sorry! Hope your day with your girls was wonderful. Wish your mom one for me, too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home