Tuesday, May 06, 2008

My Name Is MandoMama, And I'm Here Because...

I am a music enabler. I am co-musically dependent and try to get other people to take on my music as their own. When I meet a musician or other musical enablers, I feel a bond.

But it's getting a little out of hand. I wrote to a couple of my friends today to announce I had developed a crush on the autoattendant voice of The Toronto Symphony.

I have a serious musical problem.

And it's getting worse.

One of my friends confessed to occasionally tuning in to the bluegrass cable station. The Cleveland Orchestra's Blossom Festival doesn't start for two months but I have the schedule on the fridge. And on Thursday, I will go straight from the annual meeting of one of our clients to The Beachland, where I'll enjoy The Gibson Brothers with a tolerant and musically adventurous pal. Still in my work clothes. I just can't stop.

The Gibsons have been around a while and have featured the best bluegrass musicians on their Sugar Hill recordings. I'm looking forward to seeing them in the intimate Beachland Tavern and taking in some of the tunes from their latest release, Iron & Diamonds.

Dontcha want to come too? You know you do. This is good old-fashioned bluegrass from New York's bit of Appalachia. Makes me almost feel normal to think a couple of guys further north made their whole life out of this stuff. Take a listen to the title track from Iron & Diamonds, or check out the title track from their last release, Red Letter Day.

Not convinced? Just ask Blueberry about the Mother Truckers who will be following up the Gibson Brothers set, and somewhere in there, our own Hayshaker Jones, a local Americana torch band featuring one of the best steel pedal guys I've seen 'round these parts. And the band is fun and friendly and sincere.

Take the steps with me, come along and hear some live bluegrass.

3 Comments:

At May 07, 2008 8:45 AM, Blogger DrDon said...

You know Mando, it's odd because I'm actually less affected by music as I get older. When I was a teenager, there were a lot of bands I was into (mostly hair metal but I also had a Pat Benatar fetish). I started playing guitar when I was about 18 and I still noodle around with it a few times a week, though I've never taken lessons and am not very good. But the amount of time I've spent listening to music has really dwindled. I buy a few tunes on iTunes now and then but haven't bought a CD in at least two years. I rarely listen to music at home and not much in the car either. While it depresses many people, I'm more addicted to news and information. I love listening to NPR and watching any sort of science/nature/history program on TV.

Don't get me wrong, I still like music and enjoy trying to create it. I've seen a few concerts over the past couple of years that were some of the best I've ever seen, like Nine Inch Nails and The Corrs. Still, it's odd that I'm just not into listening to music much anymore. Not sure when that changed or why but I think it's great that it means so much to you and that you're always trying to rally your friends to these events. There are worse addictions!

 
At May 07, 2008 11:10 AM, Blogger Blueberry said...

I am a music enabler too. I know just what you mean by that. Hey, I liked Hayshaker Jones! They remind me of The Texas Sapphires, another band I work for.
Their MySpace for quick and easy listen. Will check out the Gibson Bros. too, and as for Beachland, look for The Greencards back there in August.

 
At May 07, 2008 12:16 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Hey Doc,
"There are worse addictions!"

I don't know of any.

Seriously, as long as you are passionate about something, I think that's what keeps us going. Maybe you need a new musical challenge or a new tune or a new groove.

Blueberry--I am no way as good as my sistah enablah! Thanks for the heads up about the Greencards! Anymore I am lucky if I look ahead two weeks! I will have to do my best not to be out of town, and I will just have to take my younguns as Son of Mando did not get to enjoy them at IBMA last year. I wonder if "YOU KNOW WHO" will be with them?! Hayshaker is a fun band. The lead songwriter and male vocal, Clint, "THINKS" he is moving to NC after he graduates, but we will do what we can to stop the acoustic brain drain out of Northeast Ohio!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home