Monday, January 07, 2008

My Windows Are Open

It's January. January 7. I live between Cleveland and Akron, Ohio. And tonight I came home and realized, I had left my window open all day, and it smelled good.


But 65 degrees on January 7 is not really good. When I left my building tonight at nearly 7 p.m., even the doorman remarked how "it's just not natural." Clyde, you got that right.


On the other hand, my windows were open. And I needed that. I was cooped up last night, feeling really pretty miserable with what I think was the onset of a sinus infection. My throat was on fire, I was hot and cold, I woke up all night long from crazy dreams and with a clogged head. By morning the sore throat had abated a little, gave way in the hot steam of the shower. My head was pounding but the steam and a dose of Sudafed set the world right so I could work for close to 12 hours. But I came home to a room that smelled like the middle of May. Good and bad.


My sister is right. Pretty soon, Ohio will be the New Zone 7 and I'll be able to have flowers and vegetables all year. But ultimately t's not good, everything, the bugs and the plants and the birds and the amphibians, everything is confused. But the chance to open the windows, like a chance to open the heart and take advantage of a rare moment, is one I'll usually take even though I know we'll pay for it down the road. If the window comes slamming down on my fingers, it will smart for a bit but at least I tried.


Something In The Wind
by The Seldom Scene

3 Comments:

At January 08, 2008 8:50 AM, Blogger Shameless Agitator said...

"What global warming?"

"What evolution?"

I nearly fell over last week when the national news flashed a statistic on the screen that 61% of Americans believe in creationism.

Ack pthththt...

Love,
Shameless

 
At January 08, 2008 10:11 AM, Blogger DrDon said...

Shameless - Well, of course 61% of people believe in creationism. What I find fascinating is that over 90% of people in the U.S. claim to believe in God. So, they apparently believe in God but don't believe he created the universe? So what good is He?

Mando - Well, the climate has changed a lot of times before humans came along. Species sprung up and species were wiped out. It's simply the nature of things on our planet. Even if we stopped all man-made global warming today, that wouldn't stop the inevitable next ice age that will scrape all of New York city to the ground. It won't stop North America and Europe from colliding someday and the Atlantic ocean from disappearing. It's all inescapable. So, live life, have fun, enjoy your kids, and don't stress about it.

 
At January 09, 2008 11:38 AM, Blogger Blueberry said...

Do you feel like you moved to the deep south and nobody told you? Climate change is going to cause some mighty freaky weather.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home