Wednesday, January 02, 2008

January the Second, With Resolve

Greetings and Happy New Year to all y'all.

I'm sitting here with my son, checking out a little documentary narrated by Martin Sheen about Andrew Jackson. Well, you know what's coming up in about a week but I'm not going to run that tune right now.

I'm getting ready to put my head back in the work helmet. Truth be told I've never taken the helmet off even while at home with my younguns for an all too brief few days. The time together sure does go quickly. And it seems to go just as quickly when we're enjoying 12 hours together as when we're enjoying a fraction of that time together during the school week.

Last year, I made only two "resolutions": to become a better musician, and, to help the couple I work for grow their business. Despite my expectations to the contrary, I've done both. Maybe I wasn't ambitious enough, but, these are two things I consider important. So I figure I'll just keep those two on the list, and add a couple new things, like, become more recognized in my field, save more for my kids' college educations (based on my ability to date, this is also not very ambitious), allow myself to be surprised by new love. Am I ready? Probably. Do I have time and inclination? Hmmm. That's a choice I have to make.

Whatever you have resolved, I hope it comes easier for you than you expect, and that music is part of your plans for 2008. This tune from a 1964 recording by the Kentucky Colonels is just long enough to enjoy while you come up with at least one idea for personal change this year. The tune goes by another name that referred to President Jackson, "Old Hickory." It's pretty short, like the list of good things Andrew Jackson did before he went berserk. Speaking of, let's hear it for 2008 all the way 'round.

Old Hickory

4 Comments:

At January 03, 2008 12:48 PM, Blogger DrDon said...

I resolve to have "Old Hickory" become my new nickname, but just amongst the ladies.

 
At January 03, 2008 2:17 PM, Blogger Shameless Agitator said...

MandoMama, My resolution is to practice non-attachment. I am using one of last year's lessons to guide me as well: Speak from my heart.

Happy New Year!

Love,
Shameless

 
At January 03, 2008 7:04 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

All righty then, Doc. From now on, I'll just call you, Ol' Hick, and try not get you confused with folks down home (they's just plain "hicks").

Sounds good, Shameless--I should probably work on nonattachment too. Heck, I'm even too attached to practicing non-attachment! I hope you'll always speak from your good heart whether I need a comforting word or a good old-fashioned smack upside the head. What are friends for?

MM

 
At January 04, 2008 9:57 AM, Blogger Blueberry said...

I resolve to try and get rid of almost everything that I don't have time to dust.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home