Thursday, December 13, 2007

Tagged?! Now what?!

Oyvehmaria! I've been tagged by Blueberry, and let me tell you, after reading about her five worst jobs, I can't possibly disappoint her.

So. Five little known things. Actually, that's kind of tough since I can't keep a secret about myself to save my life. But here goes.

I started my career in fundraising. Yes indeedy. I was a professional grants coordinator for The Cleveland Orchestra, back when Michael Stern, Jahja Ling, and Vladimir Ashkenazy were on the conducting staff. I worked with a bunch of crazies -- and I'll never go back to fundraising aside of recruiting fundraisers -- but got to meet some cool musicians and great conductors. Among them, Yo-Yo Ma, Isaac Stern, pianist Leon Fleisher, Itzhak Perlman, Esa Pekka Salonen, Murray Perahia, Mitsuko Uchida. I also worked in the program office, and enjoyed frequent visits from then recently retired and always well loved Klaus Roy.

I love tapioca pudding. I think it must be those weird little bubble things and the not quite perfectly vanilla flavor. There's something about it, though, that reeks of comfort.

I'm something of an anglophile. If I weren't an agnostic, or maybe even an atheist, I'd be singing every damn number from the Book of Common Praise from the front row of an Episcopal choir (the Episcopal Church welcomes you, you know). As horribly brutal as the English always have been throughout history, I'm drawn to the history, the literature, the music, the music, the music, the ancient traditions, the landscape. The British are cranky but then again, they gave us Churchill, Ralph Vaughan Williams, and date pudding.

My middle name is Jude. For real. Worse? Jude is the patron saint of hopeless cases. I would have to say my mother knew what she was doing.

I once, well, you know...with the driver of a moving car. On the interstate. Hey, I was very young. Needless to say, somewhere along the way I've lost some of that sense of adventure, but that probably accounts for the fact that I'm here to tell the tale.

So who can I tag???

Don, because as an ex-Catholic you can never have too much confessing.
Shannon, because he's even better at sharing TMI than I am and he needs to update his damn blog.
Shameless, because there HAS to be something we still don't know about you.

There may be more of you, but now this old bird has got to sing a few vespers and hit the hay.

10 Comments:

At December 14, 2007 9:24 AM, Blogger Piepiepie said...

Oh wow--I'm glad you did this, because I didn't know about your middle name and really needed to. LOL about your comment that your mama knew what she was doing when she gave you that name. I have more to say but must run--sister-in-law got the game Trouble for X, and I will have played 100 games by noon. Send patient thoughts my way ...

 
At December 14, 2007 11:50 AM, Blogger Blueberry said...

Are you named after the saint? I am named after a couple of aunts. One was nuts.

I've always been a bit of an Anglophile too. If I didn't love this town so much and have so many problems with damp weather, I'd go, and might stay.

 
At December 14, 2007 3:44 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Janice,
O lordy, have you done popped yourself crazy by now? I love that little red-headed kid. How are the rest of youns?

Blue, yes, the saint. St. Jude was probably nuts, and I don't exactly recall where the hopelessness comes in, but it's certainly apt.
As for the English weather, me too! I think most English have something of the loner in them, which I definitely feel. That doesn't exactly explain Gilbert & Sullivan, but I think it's kind of true.

Carry on, then.

MM

 
At December 14, 2007 5:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take it from someone who lived in England for a few years: living there is much different from just visiting!

You got to meet Esa Pekka Salonen?! Was that as surreally cool as I might imagine?

It was so great having dinner with you last night; thanks for taking the time out. I hope you have a great weekend.

Much love,

Shadow/J

 
At December 14, 2007 10:44 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Hey Shadow,
Remember you lived on some plot of land with really bad Karma. Maybe all of England isn't so bad?? I have a Lionheart, I bet I could stomach it.

Oh, dear Mr. Salonen was nothing like he is today. It was almost 20 years ago. He was a young, handsome whipper-snapper. I brought him a Heineken after the concert and he proposed to me. But having to pick up his dirty underwear and socks from laying around Mr. Dohnanyi's office was a real turnoff. After that it was all I could do not to call him Esa Pecker. O! I'm going straight to Symphonic Hell for that, where all they play is Berlioz.

Last year, he was Musical America's Musician of the Year. He's come a long way in LA.

Dinner was a totally unexpected and somewhat miraculous pleasure. A treat to spend time with you all!

MM

 
At December 15, 2007 10:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd have to agree with you: Berlioz 24-7 would be a particularly dark and dank circle of hell!

Stay safe this weekend.

Love you.

Shadow/J

 
At December 15, 2007 11:28 AM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

That's for damn sure. After about the first six hours, hell, I'd be marching MYSELF to the scaffold! O! Wait! Except, I'd already be dead! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK.

 
At December 16, 2007 10:29 AM, Blogger Shameless Agitator said...

I started to answer your tag. Will have to think more.

I enjoyed our dinner together Thursday night. We need to do that more often!

Love,
Shameless

 
At December 18, 2007 9:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being of almost total English background, but American for many generations, I share your queasiness about British cultural imperialism and brutality. But British humor, countryside, history, cinema - I like it all. If only they weren't so damned racist!

Dave

 
At December 19, 2007 8:18 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Racist, imperialist, sexist, what else can we name? But when I hear the King's College Choir I just can't help myself. I just know I was a boy soprano in another life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home