Monday, January 02, 2006

2006: Year of the Gig

I don't typically do resolutions. Having fallen short already in a number of areas of my life, and prone to starting things I don't always finish as planned, I hate to set myself up. At the same time, turning 40 late last year set me to thinking: What if I used the next 10 years while I'm stuck in Ohio to really work toward some of my goals? Hence, a few resolutions, Bluegrass style:

1. Practice. Practice, practice, practice. With and without background noise.

2. Go to jam sessions. Practice isn't going to mean anything unless I actually play with other people.

3. Get to a show at the Station Inn. This mecca for bluegrass performers and fans alike in Nashville has long been on my to-do list. And it's not like I'm never there. So this is the year.

4. Get as many people as possible to live shows. Northeast Ohio has some great bluegrass venues, if they are a little out of the way.

5. Spend a couple of days in actual bluegrass country....southern West Virginia, western Virginia, North Carolina, Kentucky. Wander up into the hills. Listen to what the people who live there have to say. Sing with them. Let them teach me.

6. Gig (depends on how successful I am with Nos. 1 & 2). Why not?

7. Save enough money to buy a very modest model Deering Goodtime banjo and a few lessons.

8. Truly make room in my life for what my dream demands. Get rid of stuff. Stop acquiring stuff. Start aquiring people and experiences that keep me close to my vision. Support others who share the vision or who are already working hard to sustain it.

9. Make at least one meaningful contribution toward developing the local bluegrass and traditional music "scene".

10. Honor the gifts this entire experience has brought me by continuing to look forward, love fiercely, and live passionately, and by bringing what I can to be of service to the people in my life.

Oh my! Looks like I have some work to do...these don't even include basic things like getting my life in order, balancing my checkbook, and trying a few new things. I'd better get busy.

To all, a happy high-lonesome 2006!

1 Comments:

At January 03, 2006 3:35 AM, Blogger My Boring Best said...

I like your list, but how about listing something in regards to "bluegrass?"

...just kidding.

Let's hope you can keep these resolutions. I never make them because I know I'll break them immediately.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home