Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Full Moon Fever, g'Earl Power Style

It's that time again...another full moon rounds the corner. Another month gone, which means I get to share another song about the moon.

This month's selection is brought to introduce you to an amazing group of women. Now, like many other industries, bluegrass and traditional music have all too few women on the front lines. But these g'Earls help make up for that.

Meet Uncle Earl. I had heard about this group on many occasions, and on learning that their most recent album was produced by Dirk Powell -- pretty much the only blessing you need in traditionall music is a nod from Dirk -- I decided I'd give them a listen. I got one of the most satisfying and restorative listening experiences yet. These women are simply amazing musicians, and bring to Traditional the woman's story. One of my favorite songs on the album is a killin' song in which the woman does the killin' -- and it will be shared here eventually.

But meanwhile, this beautiful song is a g'Earl original. The simple lines are supported perfectly by the wistful, almost whispering melody. I think of this song when I see her in the sky, trailing me on my way to and from work, or gazing back at me late at night when I catch her in the window. Thanks to her, I never feel alone. Moon is always present, through all the phases of my own life, and watching over all the ones I love when I can't be there.

Pale Moon
By Kristin Andreassen / 2004 Yellowcar Music, ASCAP
Arrangement: Uncle Earl

http://cdbaby.com/mp3lofi/uncleearl3-05.m3u

Pale moon in the bright blue sky.
Quiet moon in the trumpeting sunlight
Full moon in the bright blue sky.
High noon is hiding your light.

I heard she's waiting. She waits for night.

Crescent moon in the bright blue sky
Tiny spoon. Little bite of the big pie.
Half moon in the bright blue sky.
Hold on. Hold back your better side.

Maybe she's waiting. She waits for night.

Crooked moon in the bright blue sky.
Corner of the room. You watch from the outside.
Shy moon in the bright blue sky.
Lonesome moon. Stars more your own kind.

Heard she's just waiting. She waits for night.

2 Comments:

At December 14, 2005 7:43 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

I remember not so long in my past, I used to pretend to throw a lasso around the full moon when riding in the passanger seat of my parent's car. Then, somehow, miraculously, the moon world follow us wherever we were driving; to my grandmother's where she would no doubtedly have fresh bread to eat, on some errand that took us out after dark, or in the cold of December, driving to the Christmas tree place where we would stand in the cold, moon lassoed to my belt, trying to determine the best tree to hold our beloved memories.

 
At December 15, 2005 10:30 PM, Blogger Blondie... said...

I feel like the moon is phasing in my life right now. You always have the most provoking posts and songs to go with them...

Thank you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home