Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Tommy Ramone's Long Journey Home

Well, I hope the floodwaters are subsiding because I’m bound for St. Louis in the morning for two unanticipated, last minute days of meetings. It should be mostly good, except for the loss of two working days in an already too-busy week. It will be a change of pace, and maybe the flight will knock that whatever it is out of my ear.

I’ve never been to St. Louis, and I’ve heard some mixed reviews from various arts community folks. Nevertheless it is the home of the St. Louis Symphony, whose dashing music director, David Robertson, just made a big splash out at the Ojai Festival as this year's fest music director.


And a few weeks ago, a little bee told me that Tommy Ramone opened for an up and coming bluegrass band playing there. I refused to believe it. So I looked it up.


Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle! Ramone and guitarist Claudia Tienan have a band called Uncle Monk. You can sample some of their performances by clicking the link and scrolling down to the YouTube offerings.

Yes, that there is the man who practically invented Punk. That's the guy. He's not too bad. I sure am curious as to what led him to play old time, let alone mando.

So, it's my view that maybe St. Louis is a place where unexpected things happen. Anything, in fact. If Tommy Ramone finds his home singing "Long Journey Home," well then, gosh darn it, not only is anything possible, but I am indeed not too far off the mark in my assertion that bluegrass really is for everybody.

I hope the trip goes well although I may wanna be sedated halfway through. But I hope not, 'cause it's time to pimp more IBMA nominees or nominees to be.

Ba-ba-bip-ba-ba-ba-ba-bip-ba-ba...

8 Comments:

At June 18, 2008 8:16 AM, Blogger DrDon said...

Well, he looks a little more like a country/bluegrass guy now. And certainly having the face of your band die puts a crimp in it. Hopefully that thing in your ear isn't your brain. :-)

 
At June 18, 2008 9:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the metatextuality of Tommy Ramone performing bluegrass!

Shadow/J

 
At June 18, 2008 9:33 AM, Blogger Blueberry said...

I used to enjoy going to the symphony when I lived in St. Louis.

As for Uncle Monk, we saw them a few years back at SXSW, their showcase was right before the Infamous Stringdusters. I have to say that we were both weirded out by them, and not even because of the Ramones thing... but I will say no more... other than I will take a pass on their future shows (please nobody hit me -- I'm no critic or person of worth, just another silly person with an opinion).

 
At June 18, 2008 8:47 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Hi y'all,
Doc, you're right, he has the look down. Needs to get the sound down now....Brain still intact but a night in what must be the worst hotel ever, the fact that the levees are just about done for in East St. Louis, and having had one hotel fire drill already, I'm not sure it will remain intact.

I never, EVER thought I would miss Cleveland for Cleveland's sake.

Blue, I am with you, and you're not saying anything that doesn't validate what I heard. I can't imagine the Dusters had heard them before they were paired off. Oh well...it's in the past. Whew. LOL

 
At June 19, 2008 9:04 AM, Blogger DrDon said...

Wait, not I'm intrigued by why Blue was weirded out. You can't just say something like that and not elaborate. It's not fair!

 
At June 19, 2008 9:05 AM, Blogger DrDon said...

Of course I meant "now" and not "not." Silly fingers.

 
At June 21, 2008 10:58 PM, Blogger Blueberry said...

By "we" I mean my husband and I, and by "weirded out" I mean that we weren't sure they were serious. We kept thinking "this is a joke, right?", and then "you know, I think these guys are for real." They were listed on the showcase, but we kept wondering if they just didn't pull a couple of folks in off the street or something. The people sitting next to us were very excited about their new CD, and we couldn't believe that (A) someone wanted these guys to record something and that (B) someone would be so totally jazzed to buy it. I know that's mean to say, and I try not to be negative usually, because I don't play any music myself, so who am I to play the critic?

Later on I looked them up and found the Tommy Ramone trivia tidbit.

I apologize to all the Uncle Monk fans for my lack of taste. Please now, nobody hit me.

 
At June 22, 2008 7:30 AM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

There is no hitting on my blog! Oh, wait, I'm just having a mothering moment...

There are plenty of crossover folks out there, and not everybody can be good at everything. Cyndi Lauper plays hammer dulcimer, you know, but she'll always be "time after time" Cyndi to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home