Friday, November 16, 2007

The Way It Works

The way it works is, you work.

I work. The way I pay for things, like my kids after school care and camp and our expenses, and my insurance, and repairs, and my mortgage, is that I work. I have a job, a job I actually love. It doesn't pay as much as I'm worth and probably never will, but it is work worth doing, and I do it close to 50 hours a week.

So when I'm not at work, I have a little fun and I do a lot of parenting. I would love to go back to school but I can't afford the money or the time away from my family or my work, nor would I be allowed to move my children for a program that would make sense for me, a Masters in Arts Administration. (And the simple people scratch their heads.)

I could go out and get me a ticket on the next gravy train too, but the thought of that ride leaves me with a little throw up in my mouth.

I ain't waitin' for no gravy train.

I'm just working.

You?

Up This Hill And Down
Claire Lynch Band
Up this hill and down
Up this hill again
Up this hill and down
Up this hill again
Well it's a mighty, mighty long road
One ain't got no end

Well it's five o'clock in the mornin
'Til twelve o'clock at night
It's five o'clock in the mornin'
'Til twelve o'clock at night
I work so hard to live
I ain't got no life

Up this hill and down
Up this hill again
Up this hill and down
Up this hill again
It's a mighty, mighty long road
One ain't got no end

Well if you're good man, he don't kill you
He'll drive you insane
If you're good man, he don't kill you
He'll drive you insane
Well love's about got me down
But I sure do like the pain

Up this hill and down
Up this hill again
Up this hill and down
Up this hill again
Well it's a mighty, mighty long road
One aint' got no end

Some day I'll have some money
I won't have to work so hard
Some day I'll have some money
I won't have to work so hard
Saturday I'll talk to my man
Sunday I'll talk to the Lord

Up this hill and down
Up this hill again
Up this hill and down
Up this hill again
Well it's a mighty, mighty long road
One aint' got no end

5 Comments:

At November 17, 2007 10:17 AM, Blogger Darkneuro said...

Workin'...

 
At November 17, 2007 1:15 PM, Blogger Blueberry said...

It's hard to tell the difference between life and work. There's no gravy train here, unless that lottery ticket is lucky.

There's either no time for more schoolin' or no money for it. It's a choice.

 
At November 17, 2007 9:44 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Oh you women are always, always working.

You're right, Blueberry. For me it definitely is hard to distinguish life from work. The work I do is really an extension of my life and my values, and I'm lucky I can say that. Not everybody can. I realized last night, I don't think I could do anything else. If that means I'm still working when I drop, I won't feel that's been time wasted at all. I believe in work and life that go nicely together. Why be miserable? You won't find me sittin on my ass in Aruba to escape my job. You might find me sitting on my ass in Aruba if the Aruba Philharmonic needs a COO.

Neuro, I hope you've been well! I am neglectful and haven't been by in ages. Time to catch up.

Cheers to you both,
MM

 
At November 17, 2007 10:17 PM, Blogger Shameless Agitator said...

Now, you might find me sitting on my ass in Aruba to escape the winter... But you know me -- I'll be working there. Telecommuting! You know me, I rarely slow down. I don't really like gravy anyways.

 
At November 17, 2007 10:34 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Gravy is what's left over after other people have done all the work. That's why it tastes not so good to some of us.

Here's to all of us hitting that lottery so we can work worry free! LOL!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home