Sunday, July 08, 2007

Mission Accomplished on Blacktop River

It was hard to leave Virginia, but I'm tired, and it's good to be home.


The trip back took longer than I'd ever have expected and I still haven't figured out why. Lord knows the route I took was a bit longer, but in retracing my steps through Mapquest, the site's Online Map Gurus tell me I'd only have added an hour or so to my trip. Now, even as the single driver, my average speed was probably around 73 mph so these people clearly are crackers.

Nonetheless we did have a nice time, all got to and back in one piece, and enjoyed the process.

Now that I'm back I have to face the many grinding tasks of everyday, beginning tomorrow at 5:30 a.m. with another trip to Rochester NY. Another 8 hours in the car, which by some accounts would be all it would take to get me back to Viriginia even if I went through DC. Heh. Back to Blacktop River.

I'm still trying to figure out this whole myspace thing and in being added today by an artist named Bryan Field McFarland I found this tune of his, which is both lovely and fitting. Thanks to you Bryan for that singable flashback to my perplexed state driving up Route 81 through the glorious Shenandoah Valley yesterday and on, and on, and on.

The rest of you please check out Bryan's music at his myspace site. It goes well with planning, or recovering from, your summer vacation.



Blacktop River
copyright 2006 sassafrasongs
ASCAPw & m: Bryan Field McFarland

I'm on a highway through the Shenandoah
Sky so blue that it hurts my eyes
I've got a cedar-topped box bound with koa
Packed in the back with a week's supplies
I see construction cones in the lane ahead
and it looks like I'll have to merge
So I'm signaling right like a ton o' lead
These other captains won't let me converge

I'm on a rippling ribbon through the world today
I got my windows rolled down and my hopes up high
I'll let this blacktop river roll my blues awayI don't even need to know why
Yeah, it's a great day to live...a great day to die

Out on the road sometimes it gets so lonesome all I can do is feel the wind
The way stretched out in front of me can be so awesome
Sometimes it seems like my only friend
I feel instruction in the heat off the highway
Like the Spirit is settling inRiding this knife edge - going my way
Life could stop. Life could begin.

Chorus

Death is just a door, just a passageway, just another part of being
All the lore ain't gonna scare me away
And it’s not that I'm foreseeing.
Oh, I'm good to go, but I would rather stay,
Cuz there's more here I need to get done
I've got this feeling now that death's my friend,
Not some frightening oblivion

I took a walk last night down by the river
Stinging stars in the Milky Way
And as my leaf crunch steps made me shiver
I caught a whiff of death in the Fall decay
I see destruction looming in the days ahead
These trees are gonna be so bare
And I'm reminded of what Quoheleth said.
No, there's "nothing new" anywhere! [Ecclesiastes 1:9]

3 Comments:

At July 08, 2007 5:43 PM, Blogger DrDon said...

Glad your trip went well. Sounds like you've been needing a break and with all you have on your plate, even the breaks aren't always breaks. I hope you can at least take some comfort in the fact that you really seem to be trying to do right by your kids, even if that doesn't leave a whole lot of room for you. Thank goodness for blogs. It gives us a chance to decompress. Be safe on your next trip.

 
At July 08, 2007 6:47 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

There's aways the allure and complete loss of yourself in the glitter of Vegas. Anytime between Aug 1 and 7th... LOL realized today that A's B-day falls in there... oh bother!


Shannon

 
At July 08, 2007 7:39 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Hey men,

Thanks, Don. It's funny, I thought about you and Jim more than once during the trip. With all these Patriots giving these speeches, good old Tom Jefferson and Pat Henry getting everyone riled up about free speech and religious freedom (including freedom from religion!) and the need for an educated citizenry to prevent the government from overtaking its people and all these other so-called rights, all I could think was, I sure hope these bozos sitting next to me are paying attention.

Shan, the allure of Vegas does indeed call, and I have my sights on December 2008, if I can wait that long. And mostly it's because I love traveling with you guys and having a chance to hang out, see new stuff together. I love that, and miss it awfully much.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home