Friday, June 15, 2007

The Dumb Things that Hold Me Back

Sure I'm tired. Sure I've basically worked from 8 a.m. this morning until like, five minutes ago when I sent yet ANOTHER email to a client out of state (yeah, that work at home stuff is NOT what it's cracked up to be!). And I spent an hour on the phone with my brother and his family catching up.

So I was in this zone, the "my day is incomplete" zone, and came across this absolutely wonderful vid of Casey D playing with Noam Pikelny (who was rather underutilized at last year's John Cowan show at The Kent Stage) and the venerable Rob Ickes on dobro.

Why oh WHY am I not picking up my fiddle at this minute? Because it's late and I'm tired? Because I have to be up and get my kids ready to take their dad out to breakfast? Because because because?

I have too many excuses. Casey Driessen is a part of my little world, he's unknowingly saved my soul on more than one occasion and remains a spirit-lifter and an inspiration, a soul friend. Would he be too tired to pick up his fiddle at 11:30 on a Friday night?

I guess I'll watch this one more time and try to figure it out on my son's fiddle. For a few minutes, anyway.

Hope wherever you are, you're having a good weekend. Mine includes delivering my son to his first away-from-home, weeklong experience at an academic camp. I'm elated, terrified, and well, I'll blog more about that later. Peace out, readers.

3 Comments:

At June 16, 2007 10:39 PM, Blogger Blueberry said...

That's a fine piece, a beauty. I love the old world sound of it.

I hear you on the work at home thing. Seems like it's round the clock.

 
At June 19, 2007 7:43 PM, Blogger Michael Bains said...

Hey now, MM! Glad you found some energy with that vid. I love that eerie sound and slow pace. Very mellow and provocative at the same time.

And yeah, had a nice little time driving home from the D Sunday morning. I drove with the windows open and the radio/CD off until I got to the first rest area on the OH Turnpike just to enjoy the feeling of freedom and reflect on a nice evening.

Hope you and A had a similarly refreshing ride home.

 
At June 19, 2007 9:39 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

You are both right, that old world "eerie" sound really is lovely and I can't help but try to learn it. Mando is going better than fiddle. There are little crooked spots that I need to hear over and over before I get them.

Blu, if anyone gets the work at home thing, it's you! What were we THINKING?!

Mr. Bains, so nice to see you! We had a lovely trip to the other D and back, got the backstory on Orville and Wilbur, and left G a full four hours away at a seriously Lutheranesque university. So far I haven't totally freaked out. Yet. But A was awesome, a good travel companion. Thank Shiva!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home