Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Dads Day

Just a quick post before I pack everyone up for a trip to Western Ohio to deliver my oldest to camp. Eeek, first camp away from home. He's definitely handling it better than I am.


My dad's been gone so long that I don't remember what having a dad is like. He died just after I turned 12. He never knew any of his grandkids. But I know dads, and parents in general, can be a blessing and a challenge as we grow older, as I've watched other families struggle with caring for parents, or dealing with interfering parents.

My dad had copious issues and it's possible that if he were around today I probably wouldn't like him much. But I sometimes think I would trade some of the ease and comfort I enjoy in not having to cope with so many of the things people cope with in terms of their parents, for just a few minutes with my dad so that he could meet his grandchildren, all of them. My mother was fortunate to know them all.

Here's a Father's Day selection off Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver's latest Rounder Records release, More Behind the Picture Than the Wall. This tune is a rare treat because we get to hear Doyle singing lead. It's a terrific song and one I hope you'll appreciate this Father's Day.



2 Comments:

At June 18, 2007 8:44 AM, Blogger Blueberry said...

My father also died when I was a young teenager, and because of him being military even much of our potential time together was spent apart. I wish I'd been able to get to know him as an adult.

 
At June 18, 2007 7:25 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Hi Blueberry,

It is sad, I wonder what we're missing as adults not knowing our fathers. The post you did on your dad (June 6 for all y'all other readers) makes me believe the two of you would be an awful lot alike in many ways.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home