Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The Rubber and the Road

I am one of the most spoiled people I know.


I spent the last two days on the road in Rochester NY, an interesting blend of urban decay and quaint Americana. Out of the last nine months, I'd say all told I've spent a total of maybe 10 days on the road for my job. I just got home from another external meeting, an annual meeting for a client organization.

There are people who spend four out of five days every week on the road, musicians notwithstanding.

How in the blazes do they do it? Here I am, just exhausted and trying to figure out what ONE thing I can get done tonight here at home, and there are lots of people who don't even know where home IS.

But, I know, it's a choice.

The experience I had over the last couple of days solidified the reality that spending more time on the road will not only become a reality, but, as I try to carve out my own path and grow professionally while bringing greater business to the family enterprise I work for, it will become a necessity.

Most of it, no doubt, will be enjoyable. Music and people are my passion, and so taking the rubber to the road on behalf of that combination is hardly a sacrifice.

Some of it will be tiresome and difficult. There's some of that in every life, and mine just has had a lot less of not getting things done at home, not sleeping in my own bed, not having to cram my laundry all into one night.

By the end of this week, the person who has brought me along on the classical music recruiting side of the house will have been out of town four out of five days, and next week and the week after, two out of five. So I think this song really fits her life more than mine at the moment.

Sam Bush, like most musicians who are trying to make a living doing what they love, is on the road most of the time. Here's a song that tells it like it is.

You listen, while I go try to find the top of my dining room table under the mail and just feel glad I'm off the road tonight.


from Sam Bush's Laps in Seven, Sugar Hill 2006

3 Comments:

At May 17, 2007 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rochester is pretty interesting, I'm in PA but have family in NY. Came from NY.

Travel is exhausting but invigorating at the same time, somehow. And travel makes me want to travel more while also making me glad to be home again- paradoxical I guess.

Anyway just getting more into bluegrass this past year, so your blog caught my eye while surfing around at Blueberry's.

 
At May 17, 2007 3:36 PM, Blogger Blueberry said...

I don't enjoy the "getting there" so much as being somewhere different. All the road and rubber is very tiresome. I don't know how people live on the road like they do.

I like that post card. I'm designing a site with that kind of look (the letters with the images inside) and have collected some images off the net. They can make the dullest place look interesting with those!

 
At May 17, 2007 8:29 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Hi Lynn and welcome! I have that same paradoxical reaction. I will say the change of scenery was nice, along with no dishes to clean up! NY's wine country is lovely, when it's not under six feet of snow. Glad you are investigating bluegrass! It's a very friendly musical sport.

Blueberry, that's very true, driving gets old quickly. (You can almost hear the seams on the road...baDUNK, baDUNK...) While having an out of the body experience last month, some other being usurped my body and made vacation plans to drive with the (nondriving age) children to Williamsburg this summer.

Glad you like the image. The goofy charm of that "cutout" effect sucked me in immediately. Hope the site turns out well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home