Saturday, May 12, 2007

The Best Medicine (Ain't Always Bluegrass!)

Last night I went out for a few hours with some friends I hadn't seen in a pretty long while. I also made a couple of new friends, and we all had a great time. Most everyone had been dealing with some critical issue of one kind or another. Yet the weight of all our human problems sure was lessened with an evening full of laughter. This evening I'm heading out again to steal some time for my soul, play a tune or two with a friend and enjoy a laugh at the world.

There are few things I enjoy more than a good hearty laugh. Although I take many things quite seriously, laughter comes rather easily if you dare to see the humor in just about everything. I'm never afraid to laugh at the irony of life, at the absurdity of certain events, the genius of children -- mercy, they can be so much smarter than grownups! -- or dare I say the missteps of our socalled fearless world leaders. (Well, let's face it, if we can't laugh, we'll have to give up altogether.)

Life and the world around us has so much grief and heartache. Most of us spend more than enough time thinking about those things in our lives that trouble us, and forget to enjoy the funny, sunny side of life.

Just up the river from my hometown is Steubenville, Ohio, which gave us one of the greatest entertainers of all time, Dean Martin. This terrific sketch has as little to do with bluegrass as he does, but I figured, hey, it's Saturday night. And if you find that little tune at the end as catchy as I do, you can always pick up your fiddle or banjo and try it bluegrass style.

Enjoy!

3 Comments:

At May 13, 2007 12:40 PM, Blogger Blueberry said...

Jimmy Stewart, Dean martin and Orson Welles under hairdryers. Now that's pretty absurd.

I try to laugh at myself whenever possible. It's the ticket for being able to live with yourself.

 
At May 13, 2007 1:39 PM, Blogger dino martin peters said...

Hey pallie, thanks for the Dinoclip. Never was, never will be anyone as cool as the King of Cool. Oh, to return to they days when Dino walked the earth!

 
At May 13, 2007 4:05 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Hey Blueberry,
I couldn't resist. I mean, Orson Welles!? You are right. I laugh at myself often -- makes me feel better if I beat everyone else to it!

Dino, yeah, that guy was one in a million. A few weeks ago I caught part of the original Oceans Eleven. It made me want to start smoking and book a trip to Vegas. Thanks for stoppin' by, Slick!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home