Friday, May 04, 2007

And Now For Something Completely Hindemith

Last night my son joined me for an all-Hindemith program performed by the Carnegie Mellon University Philharmonic at Severance Hall, home of The Cleveland Orchestra. Our firm had worked on the recruiting of CMU's new head of the School of Music in the College of Fine Arts. I felt this was a tremendous opportunity to experience first hand the reason we did that particular search, which was not easy but which was very rewarding.


I was not surprised by the talent represented on that hallowed stage last night. And it really was a privilege for me to be able to listen and watch these students express so much depth in their playing. My son really enjoyed the concert and it was a nice plus to be able to share it with him. He was pretty baffled at the difference between this student orchestra and the one at his school, but I reminded him that these kids practice many hours a day.

I know this blog is mostly about bluegrass. But the same side of me that loves the structure and form of bluegrass loves the side I grew up in, classical music. Music performance, history, or theory can be a vital part of education, as can any art form, if our public policy makers would just be able to see the enormous benefits of studying the arts. Arts education teases out different parts of our brains that help the other parts all work better as a whole. We are whole people.

I'll share here an excerpt from Hindemith's Mathis de Maler, which was performed last night. The title refers to two different works by Hindemith; one was an opera and the other this symphonic piece, both composed in 1933-34. I found this particular movement quite beautiful, and I was deeply moved by the depth and passion in these young players.

It's all music. It's all good.


4 Comments:

At May 05, 2007 7:59 AM, Blogger Women on the Verge said...

Agreed!! My daughters have listened to classical music since they were babies... Mozart, Handel, Bach, etc. My 9 year old daughter plays "The Magic Flute" when she takes a shower. Music feeds the mind and soul... I can only hope that we will restore all the music and art programs that have been gutted in the public schools.

E

 
At May 05, 2007 8:14 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

OH E! No kidding! The Magic Flute is just about my favorite opera, let alone Mozart opera. When I was your daughter's age, I thought it would be cool to be a conductor. I'm glad yours both are getting a good dose of music at home! It makes me nuts that the arts are sidelined in public education. How many studies can we do to show the connection between math and music, or science and music, or art and creative problem solving? Argh.

Thanks for visiting!

 
At May 09, 2007 5:18 PM, Blogger Michael Bains said...

That Hindemith on Rhapsody is awesome! Reminds me of something (Wagner?) but is somewhat prettier in places.

Sehr Kuhl!

 
At May 09, 2007 8:50 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

LOL! Ja, Herr Bains! Good stuff all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home