Thursday, May 10, 2007

New Song Long Time Gone

My first ever festival experience was the New Song Festival back in 2003. It's a festival for new song writers, held over near Harper's Ferry WV. It was quite an experience, being face to face with some pretty significant talent and unknowns who every day manage to put themselves through an artistic struggle.

I was also fortunate because Darrell SCott, Tim O'Brien, and Vance Gilbert all did workshops so my brain and my ears got a real workout.

New Song was my first immersion into the acoustic world during which I thought, "I need to do something with this."

I haven't been able to get back to New Song. I went with a friend who now also appears to be a long time gone, probably just as well.

Anyway, this is one of my fave songs. The recording he did with Tim is a great version of this tune, but as you can see, Darrell holds up just fine on his own. I hope you'll take the opportunity to hear him if you get a chance.

Meanwhile, enjoy. My day is a long time gone and it's time I got some rest.

2 Comments:

At May 10, 2007 9:08 AM, Blogger Blueberry said...

There was such irony in the Dixie Chicks having a big hit with that one in mainstream country, when the song is putting down mainstream country. Oh well, those are the people who shunned them over saying they were ashamed that Dubya was from Texas. Idiots. I think the Chicks will make it just fine without those people.

Thanks for this video. Good to hear the songwriter doing it.

It's also nice to live in a place where they DO revere Haggard, Cash and Hank, although it's not exactly a ticket to great financial success -- it will get you some gigs and some love to go with them.

 
At May 10, 2007 8:26 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Hi Blueberry,
Hey, if Austin offers two outta three, that ain't bad!

As for the Chicks, what's the BEST thing about being shunned by pseudo country "artists" and their Clear Channel buddies? NO BUD LIGHT! WOOHOO! Wimpy beer for wimpy people.

Cheers!
MM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home