Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Ode to A Nashville Cat

This is Gilbert.
(Yes, that orange furball there on the chair.)

Gilbert is in the hospital. He's a real live Nashville Cat whose lived with my sister for almost 16 years. Seems he hasn't been doing too well lately, he's in a bit of a kidney pickle, and we don't know whether he'll make it through the week. If you're inclined, please do send him some positive healing critter thoughts. I'm thinking he must have 2 or 3 lives left in him.
At least we hope so. My pals and I are headed down to Curry Lane this weekend for muck and trouble at Pondfest 2007, and we sure would like to see him at his old Southern catcantankerous best. And I'm glad we'll be there with my Sis. It's going to be a rough week. Seems like a lot of folks in my life have lost either a human or an animal family member in the last month, and it's no different, one from another. Love is love.

There seems to be a whole lot of chaos swirling about these days. My own little uninteresting everyday dramas not withstanding, friends and family near and far seem to be bumping into some formidable turbulence. I wish I could be like Elastigirl in the Disney release, The Incredibles, and just turn myself into a big stretchy parachute with my arms wrapped around these special people and critters in my life.

So this track from Donna Hughes recent release, Gaining Wisdom, seemed apt. Yeah, you know you know it, and I hope it gives you a lift and a chuckle. Ok, Shannon, how many versions of this can you find?!
I just want to say to all the ones on my heart how much I love y'all. You each are just so special to me, and I'm here, y'all, time after time.

(This is a terrific recording, by the way, produced by Tony Rice and full of great songs and great musicianship. Hughes is a classical pianist by training and trade, but shines as a songwriter and singer on this sophomore effort. Check it out.)

4 Comments:

At April 25, 2007 5:04 PM, Blogger Blueberry said...

Oh dear. Has Gilbert eaten any of that bad recalled food? Even at 16, you still want them to keep going, but not if they are suffering. He's a fine handsome red-haired boy. We are sending him some get-well vibes.

 
At April 25, 2007 8:20 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Hey Blueberry,
Thanks much. Reports are that he's doing better, even peed during his mama's visit to see him at the hospital, he was so excited to see her! So the vibes are much appreciated! Food was not in the recall batch, thankfully.

What a perfect tune for that one! Thank you!

 
At April 26, 2007 5:16 PM, Blogger Piepiepie said...

Hi Jennie,
Hugs and head bumps to adorable Gilbert! We had a cat with chronic renal failure (CRF) who was on death's doorstep when he was diagnosed, and he managed to live four more wonderful years, thanks to subcutaneous fluids and various other little interventions. Bruno is now a feline kidney expert, if I may say so. ;-)
Hugs,
Janice

 
At April 26, 2007 8:05 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Hello, J! Gilbert thanks you so much for the encouragement. I'm pretty sure he doesn't really want to miss Pondfest. And he has just a marvelous cat wisdom, which I guess he is trying to pass on to my sister by sleeping on her head these days. With all the cats you've parented at your house, I'm sure your family has acquired some feline qualities, although I do hope drinking right out of toilets or chasing your food under your plates are not among them.

Hope bball season is going well and that we can get together soon!
L,
MM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home