Sunday, November 23, 2008

Lucky Seven

Ok, ok. It's been a nutty couple of days and all the while my head has been turning with the "seven" from Blueberry's tag a few days ago. So I call this the Lucky Seven because I'm lucky I got it done before the weekend was officially over. Here's the scoop:


THE RULES:

1. Post your list of the seven best albums, the seven bloggers you will tag, a copy of these rules, and a link back to this page.
2. Each person tagged will put a URL to their Blogger Album Project post along with a list of the seven best albums in the comment section HERE.
3. Feel free to post the “I Contributed to the Blogger Album Project” Award Graphic on your sidebar, along with a link back to this page.
4. Post a link back to the blogger who tagged you.
To think I can narrow things down to seven is a bit ambitious but it did get me thinking about some great albums I haven't listened to in a while. It's also, now that I'm done, a bit heavy on the Brits. Hm. What's that about? Well, anyway, here goes:

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours. This album won me over at an early age with the songwriting and some of the acoustic numbers, particularly this one, the groove of which I believe I wore clean through.

The Beatles - Revolver. Things started happening there. I love Rubber Soul too, but there was a little anger and a little rebellion that started to show through with the edge they captured on Revolver.

Tony Rice and Ricky Skaggs - Skaggs & Rice. This is an amazing collection of bluegrass tunes performed by two of the genres top musicians. It's a rare gem with both Skaggs and Rice on vocals, before Rice lost his singing ability.

Elton John - Madman Across the Water. Actually one of my mother's favorite albums, Madman features what I think is one of the best songs ever written. Levon is an American human epic crammed into five minutes of great music.

Eric Clapton - Crossroads. These are the essential recordings through the years, a premiere collection from the Yardbirds on down.

Kate Bush - Hounds of Love. I don't really know what the hell this album is about but it has captivated me from my first listen some 20 years ago. Kate Bush is brilliantly creative, holds nothing back.

R.E.M - Fables of the Reconstruction. Throughout this band's long and impressive evolution, this one has always hung on with me. I think it straddles R.E.M. the alt college-band and R.E.M. the gritty honest in-your-face band. I haven't loved all of their experiements, but I have loved them for trying, and I still have a crush on Mike Mills.

------------------------------------------------------

Thank you, Blueberry, for this was actually pretty fun despite how long it took me to come up with my list. Tagged for this crazy meme will be Ipsissimus, Shameless, Shannon, The Yarn Slut, Doc, and Drew. Have fun, music fans!

9 Comments:

At November 24, 2008 11:09 AM, Blogger Kelley Grant-Kelley said...

I've been tagged! Ooh, I'm going to have to think about this one a lot... My biggest problem is I don't have any bloggers to tag - you've taken care of all the bloggers I know ;).
Ipsissimus

 
At November 24, 2008 11:41 PM, Blogger Kelley Grant-Kelley said...

Ha ha! It is posted on my site and the blogger album site - which I notice you failed to complete the task by posting on! I am trying to think of others to tag, even if they don't blog... maybe Shadow?

 
At November 25, 2008 8:11 AM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

D'OH!!! You're right, I did forget, I was so bloody glad to get the first part over with, lol!!! Thanks...

 
At November 25, 2008 9:18 AM, Blogger DrDon said...

I'm the same way. No consistent bloggers to tag but it will still be interesting to come up with the albums. That's a tough one. I can think of three right away. Hmm...

 
At November 26, 2008 6:54 PM, Blogger Blueberry said...

It was tough, wasn't it? (I cheated and didn't tag enough people..heh heh)

Fleetwood Mac - I struggled over them and which one I would pick if they made the Seven. My favorite Mac albums are the older ones with Danny Kirwan.

Elton John: His first several albums were treasures.

Eric Clapton: another artist I wanted to include but couldn't decide which one.

 
At November 26, 2008 7:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Court and Spark
2. Distant Shore
3. The Crossing/Two Journeys (tie)
4. Electric Ladyland
5. Midsummer Night
6. Merry Sisters of Fate
7. 1/4 Moon in a 10 Cent Town/Luxury Liner

Bonus:
8. Still Crooked
9. In Play
10 So Long of a Journey

 
At November 26, 2008 11:05 PM, Blogger drewgolden said...

Oh crap - I can't pick from my fave and most influential 13: have a peek:

1.) The Best of Van Morrison

It's Van Morrison and that Brown Eye'd Girl!

2.) Audioslave / Audioslave

Chris has the voice! Pinnacle here!

3.) Nine inch nails / Broken

Played loudly - it's the best thing ever to come out of Cleveland! And Cleveland rocks!

4.) Modern English / After the Snow

Prototypical 80's hit, with a few very non-typical suprises.

5.) Grateful Dead / American Beauty

I cried the day Jerry died. Saw him three times - this album still brings me to tears. Miss you Jerry! Love the warm country music sound this album brought to the table. Box of rain indeed!

6.) Fat Boy Slim / Better Living through Chemestry

Quite good - deserves a re-listen. Not sure they are musicians more than mix-masters. Opened a new trend in music that is not to be too opposed.

7.) Erasure / Pop! The first 20 hits!

What's wrong with GAY club music anyway? And that voice - sooo close to Alison Moyet and we love her so!

8.) Eric Clapton / Unplugged

Clapton + Unplugged = amazement.

9.) Inxs / Shabooh Shoobah

Michael Hutchence had the voice - such a tragic loss.

10.) Nirvana / Nevermind

Thank GOD this happened - end of big hair rock and thank you thank you thank you! I worked in Seattle when this one hit it big. Miss you Kurt!

11.) REM / Murmur - Reckoning

Loved him more when we could not understand what he was saying - but they still roll on and produce good music.

12.) Squeeze / Singles 45's and under

Chris Difford + Glenn Tilbrook + Jools Holland = complete music love for all. Saw them all acoustic in PGH; HAD A PINT WITH THEM - and they are all good blokes.

13.) Third Eye Blind / Third Eye Blind

3db captured the early 90s sound and took it up a level or two on this one. Very repeat play!

 
At November 27, 2008 8:51 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Hi Yall!
Fearless, I meant to tag you but I couldn't find a blog site! I like your choices -- Two Journeys was just about on my list too, and then I figured it was just because I love it so much. I sort of surprised myself with only the Rice/Skaggs duet album making the cut from the bluegrass lineup.

Blueberry, so right with Clapton, what to pick? So I kind of cheated since the album has a little bit of everything. Same with Elton John; Goodbye YBR would have been an obvious alternate. And I learned from a picker workin' at my local string shop that Fleetwood Mac started out as a British blues band. So I think I'm a little topheavy on that in the list but must be a reason.

LOL, looks like no one can really stick to the Seven. It is tough, very tough! Drew, great choices. I credit you with my lifelong obsession with REM. I was leaning toward Reckoning too but really felt I made the leap to sticking it out with Fables. Dag, I also could have put American Beauty on the list--that is an amazing album. I finally learned the mando part for Friend of the Devil, heee!

Ips! Billy Joel! Good one. Also almost put S&G on the list, along with So. ARGH! So tough!! Nice going to include Mr. Ips.

Don,have you posted? My guess is you will have more metal than anyone else. Also haven't seen Radiohead pop up but I bet they are in your first three?? I keep meaning to iTunes them. Let's have it.

Thanks for playing, y'all, and happy thanksgiving!

 
At December 04, 2008 11:33 AM, Blogger Shameless Agitator said...

Okay, I finally got my list together:

Shameless Agitator's albums.

Love,
Shameless

P.S. Should we still call them albums?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home