Thursday, November 20, 2008

Before the Magnificent Seven, A Word About A Magnificent Five Stringer

How cool -- as I write this I am listening to my niece on http://www.wyep.org/ who is filling in for a fellow DJ. Clearly, music pushing runs in the family. It is blustery outside and snowing wildly again, but I feel kind of mellow -- either it's the dribble of rum I put in the hot chocolate to help me cope with the fact that I may need snow tires, or just the onset ahead of schedule of the relaxing I hope to do next week over the holiday week.


Blueberry tagged me with just about the hardest meme I think I've gotten hit with yet -- the seven best albums. OyvehcarumbaLInaYOdel I don't have any idea how I'll come up with those. But, I will try. It may take a few days, but I'll give it a go.

Meanwhile, all week as I've been moving furniture and trying to clean and get ready for the holidays, that Eddie Adcock story has played itself in my head and gosh darn it if I don't find myself coveting one of these. It's completely illogical. Definitely a want, not a need. And since the least expensive model worth having sports a price tag of about $1500, more than half the cost of the new furnace that is running right now, I'll have to stick with the snow tires and maybe the new dishwasher we need.

But it's fun to think about. Used to be you could pick up a Deering Goodtime for about $400. But instead, I think I'll just think about my magnificent seven albums for Blueberry (be sure to check out her seven, very impressive!!) -- maybe even make a handwritten list. (Oh, Blue, if you knew how neurotic my friends are about lists of songs let alone albums, you would realize you now will have us all sucked into this thing!)


Until I can get that run out, I wanted to share the playing of an impressive young woman I saw this year for the first time at IBMA. Kristin Scott Benson is a banjo player with the Larry Stephenson Band. She was part of a workshop I attended, and I heard her play Sunday morning. By then it had been a pretty long weekend for her since Ms. Scott Benson was named IBMA's Banjo Player of the Year. It was great to see a woman win top honors in perhaps the most male-dominated instrument category of a male-dominated genre. Visit Kristin's MySpace page to enjoy tracks from her new release, Second Season.

4 Comments:

At November 21, 2008 5:50 PM, Blogger Kelley Grant-Kelley said...

Ooohhh, rum in the hot cocoa, how have I been missing that? Sure would make these suddenly winter nights feel warmer.

Strangely enough, I've been wanting a banjo for a while - even though I don't even play a stringed instrument. There is just something really cool, but laid back about a banjo. Almost named our kitten that - but it seemed like more of a boy-cat's name. Mr. Ipsissimus has been learning how to really play the guitar and I keep thinking playing a banjo would be cooler.

I raise my glass of spiked hot cocoa to illogical wants. It is certainly the time of year for them - I think that is one of the pleasures of the holidays, thinking illogically of what a mythical Santa could bring you. Never hurts to dream!

 
At November 22, 2008 7:52 AM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Hellllo dear Ips! So nice to see you. I think I remember getting all excited when I read that Willow might instead be Banjo. It's a great name. Good thing I'm done having kids, lol. There is something truly unique about the banjo. I even had my son looking at the Deering catalog last night. There's a Grand Old Opry' model we both like that only runs about a grand. We all like the Banjosaurus -- an all-inlay neck projecting a pre-historic scene -- except that it runs about $68K. Those Deerings think of everything. The thing is that I'm not sure which kind of tone I'd like. By the time I had the money to actually buy a banjo I'd probably spend the rest of my life trying to figure out which tone I wanted.

I can definitely see you playing the banjo. It's a very satisfying mental exercise. There's almost no weird tuning involved and the fingering is predictable once you learn the patterns. And it has such a commanding sound! Then you and Mr. Ips can take it on the road! Hm, I might have to bring my mando next time we're down that way!

Hope your day holds a few irrational indulgences -- as you say, 'tis the season.

 
At November 22, 2008 10:27 PM, Blogger DrDon said...

Okay, this is not meant to denigrate her playing or talent in any way but with respect to Ms. Scott Benson...yum!

 
At November 23, 2008 5:12 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

I keep telling you guys that you're missing out and you don't believe me! Actually, because she is so softspoken I took Kristin for someone much, much younger. So I was surprised to learn she was a wife and mother. Sorry, Doc!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home