Saturday, October 04, 2008

IBMA Part 1: Who Set My Alarm?!

Well, I wasn't up all that late, only until about 1 p.m. because I couldn't find a group of beginner-like pickers. But it was a great day anyway.

One of the best things about the way my visit started was that I spent the first three hours at the Roots and Branches stage. April Verch and her band kicked things off, followed by -- believe it or not -- the Freighthoppers, who were terrific. Then, would you believe, Mike Seeger.

From there after I checked into my room and dumped my bag, I headed to the ballroom to catch some late afternoon tunes and then head up to the mandolin workshop. The workshop featured seven players -- seven! I bought a little electronic travel metronome because I do what Dan Tyminski tells me to.

After a quick bite to eat it was time for the Friday lineup, which included the Josh Williams Band, Doyle Lawson, Cherryholmes, Tyminski, The Grascals, and Mountain Heart -- with special guest Tony Rice. Somewhere in my wandering around, however, I got to catch Sierra Hull and some of her similarly young and talented friends just jamming in the lobby. You know, like everybody does.

After the main shows were done for the night I dumped my stuff and headed back downstairs (I'm on the 23rd floor) in an elevator full of pickers who of course played a tune on the way down. Gotta remember to bring my camera with me.

Hope you enjoy your day!

1 Comments:

At October 04, 2008 11:41 AM, Blogger Blueberry said...

What a great day! I love Dan Tyminski. Guess he's got a little spare time now with Alison Krauss being off on tour with that other fellow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home