Monday, January 21, 2008

Fit as a Fiddle--Someday

Yesterday, with temps hovering around 4 degrees and windchills that took us well below that, I gave up on the ski thing and did the unthinkable.

I joined the fitness center.

Yep. I plunked down hard-earned money for three months of self-torture intended to make me a healthier, stronger, somewhat slenderer me. With, of course, the emphasis on the healthier and stronger part. I tested the track, set my sights on the weight room, and dreamed of pounding out my work-related frustrations with another lap in the pool. All this, I reasoned, will help me really be ready for the strain of the slopes when I do finally get out, hopefully before the season ends.

I had my week all set -- Tuesday walking, Thursday a real workout -- until I realized that this Thursday when I'm supposed to be learning how to use the weight room equipment, I SHOULD be at the "Three Girls and Their Buddy" show at The Allen Theatre in downtown Cleveland. Some of the seats are only $10 -- less than it will cost me to get downtown and pay for parking. How can I skip it?

After all, I've gotten my exercise. I worked out my fiddle muscles both Saturday AND Sunday nights. I did dust off my little hand weights and used them tonight for something other than doorstops. I can skip one little night, right? Just one.

Meanwhile the snow will still be falling and the kids will be calling me to try to get up on my skis. I'll be a little bit more prepared, and I'll have even more tunes in my head from Thursday's show as my soundtrack.

Click here for vid of Buddy and Emmylou singing a classic, "If Teardrops Were Pennies", at a Porter Wagner tribute last fall. Hope to see some of y'all on Thursday night.

4 Comments:

At January 23, 2008 9:29 AM, Blogger Blueberry said...

I am envious. Wish I could afford a fitness center. I think it's just the thing I need right now.

 
At January 23, 2008 7:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the not-too-distant past, I would have chastised you for not going daily. Now that I'm older and wiser (though sadly, also less buff), I'm of the opinion that it's the overall pattern that counts.

Enjoy the concert and your time in the gym.

Love,

Shadow/J

 
At January 23, 2008 9:08 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Hey Blueberry,
We're pretty lucky that we have a nice community fitness center here in town. For just me, it's not all that expensive. If I sign up for the year, the monthly fee can be absorbed by buying less unhealthy eats. One less bottle of cheap wine, skipping the occasional Wal-Bucks latte and packing leftovers for lunch and it's covered. So now I REALLY have no excuse to be unhealthy! On the other hand, some of the best things in life are free, Blueberry. Grab Mr. Blueberry and get out for a walk 2-3 times a week. It's good for both y'uns, you'll burn off some of that stress, and as my mama used to say, you'll "get the stink blown off ya."

Shameless, you'll be proud of me: since I couldn't go to the equip orientation tomorrow, I just wandered on in to the weight room and asked one of the kids at the desk to show me the way! (DON'T go there.) So I had like a free session with a trainer. I now have jello arms but in a couple weeks I'm sure to feel the difference.

Good grief, I can't believe this is ME talking....What? Less wine? More WEIGHTS? Somebody call the authorities...

 
At January 24, 2008 7:40 AM, Blogger Michael Bains said...

I love the way you prioritize. Really!

:)

And Thanks! for the "inspirational" video.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home