Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Done Done Her Duty

This year I let slip past a little known anniversary.

On November 2, it had been five years since my mom died.

It was the first year none of us called each other. I only mentioned it to my son at the very end of the day so he wouldn't dwell on it.

After five years, you'd think it was time to delete her clearly no-longer-in-service phone number from my cell phone. In fact she died before I even got my current phone but the number just transfered on over when I got my new phone.

The thing is, while the rest of us were sad and still miss her deeply, she was ready to go. She was tired, she'd not been in the best health, and she really wasn't interested in putting up much of a fight, for whatever reason. I think she feared becoming a burden to us more than anything. It's what mothers feel I guess.

Sunday night, Tim O'Brien did a few of his much older songs, including a Hot Rize tune called Late in the Day, which always reminds me of my mom. But between his set and Mountain Heart, there was a Duhks tape rolling. With my mom on my mind, I heard one of their tunes I love best, Death Came A Knockin'.

It so rots that I can't post this vid here of the Duhks. SO the link is below. Just as I was listening to this tune again making it my MySpace tune of the week, I thought, "Dag, I bet Casey Driessen would nail this tune." And whaddaya know. Who's that little fella in the blue shirt there off to the left?!

Enjoy this one, and be sure to sing along for June Anne. She done done her duty for sure, and I hope I can say the same when my time comes to buckle on my travelin' shoes and stand by the Jordan stream.

Death Came A Knockin
by The Duhks, Grey Fox 2007, Ancramdale, NY

2 Comments:

At November 14, 2007 12:11 PM, Blogger My Boring Best said...

You always talk so fondly of you Mom. I wish I could've met her.

One things for sure... She raised a fine daughter.

:-)

 
At November 16, 2007 10:44 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Thanks dude. I hope that's true. I know one thing, I'm finding I'm like her in many ways, some good, some a little worrisome. I just hope I can enjoy life a little more before it's over.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home