Saturday, October 27, 2007

Jenny On the Railroad/Running in the Mud/You Name It

I just got home a bit ago from playing tunes. For seven hours.

My good friend invited me to join a group of his old-time musicians today. These were wonderful people who put up with my playing (guitar and mando) as they breezed through dozens of tunes that they pulled from memory. As I write this, they are still at it. There are several tunes I have played in the past that have the name Jenny in them, but at the moment all the tunes are starting to blend together in my head.

These amazing musicians come from all walks of life and are spread out over the midwest/Great Lakes corridor. They have regular day jobs in things like consulting and computer programming. And then they pick up a fiddler or a banjo and they just let it all loose.

I'm really grateful for my friend including me. It was very generous of these folks to allow me to play along when on more than one tune I was regularly fumbling for the right chord in some of the more crooked fiddlin' spots.

If I had been smart, I would have taken a notebook and written down every single tune we played so that I could work on it later. But since I didn't I was hard pressed in my present state to pull up some of my favorites. This one was near the end of my evening and it was certainly near the top of my list. Enjoy Ithaca-region fiddler Bruce Molsky in one called Jeff Sturgeon.

FYI, Molsky will be opening for a Nickel Creek show here in Ohio, in Mansfield this Wednesday, Oct. 31. Yes, Halloween.

Jeff Sturgeon

1 Comments:

At October 28, 2007 9:02 PM, Blogger Blueberry said...

Well, happy Halloween! Our Nickel Creek show is on the 17th of November. Farewell show #2 for us, but who's complaining? ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home