Friday, February 23, 2007

For Katie, and Saying Goodbye

Katie, just this past Christmas.

Yesterday, my good friend Shameless Agitator lost a dear member of her family. Katie was only 10 years old but packed those ten years with a hundred years of joy for her family and friends. She was a fine little lady.


It was a sudden, very sudden, loss, and that's the very hardest kind. Here one minute, gone the next. It's frightening, unsettling, and so sad.


I will miss Katie, and my kids will, too. She was really a special little doggie. My son remembers her from when she and he were very young together, playing with our friends children.


Shameless's family is very special to us. We've all kind of grown up together. So when the losses start coming, they come to us all.


So this little song, a song I sometimes think of when I think of my mom, is for Shameless and her family, who has lost Katie, Grandma Cook, and little Amber, too. It's by Tim O'Brien, whose wonderful songs are full of shadow and fight and grief and joy and play. As Shameless said today, there's no way to cover up or distract from the pain. The only way is to work through it, and learn.


Much love to my sweeties and to anyone who has had to let go and say goodbye. In those sad hours, stretching on into days and darker nights, time passes and takes with it our pain in measured doses.


Time to Learn

The hand is cold that once held mine
I can't believe you've really left this world behind
I can wait and I can hope
I'll get over this in time
It takes time to learn when someone's gone for good
They're not comin' back like you wish they would
In the empty hours when you miss them so
Then it's time to learn to let them go
Your last hours we never knew
We never had a chance to say goodbye to you
Words unsaid and things undone
We'd just begun and now we'll never see them through
It takes time to learn when someone's gone for good
They're not comin' back like you wish they would
In the empty hours when you miss them so
It takes time to learn to let them go
It takes time to learn that you're gone for good
You're not comin' back like I wish you would
In the empty hours when I miss you so
Then it's time to learn to let you go
The hand is cold that once held mine

3 Comments:

At February 23, 2007 10:37 PM, Blogger Shameless Agitator said...

Thank you, MandoMama. The Shameless Agitator clan loves you too!

 
At February 26, 2007 11:22 AM, Blogger pissed off patricia said...

Oh bless her heart, she was such a sweet looking little lady.

Some of the saddest times in my life were the ones when I had to part with my pets. Anyone who says they aren't a part of the family has never really loved one.

My heart goes out to anyone who fell in love with this sweet little friend.

 
At February 26, 2007 9:05 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Hi PoP,
She was indeed a little ball of fun. My son remembers her as a little white fluffball of energy.

You're right on there about pets. I know partners who've broken up but remain "pet parents" sharing custody of their animals.

Thanks for your kind words.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home