Saturday, December 30, 2006

Crazy As Me? BRING IT ON, or, whatever.

Everybody knows I'm not a huge, huge Alison Krauss fan. Alison Krauss and Union Station is a great band, and I love her stage presence -- she's a truly funny, funny woman and very smart -- but I'm just not wild about the softer country side of things. But tonight I was pouring through my inbox and getting rid of stuff I hadn't even opened, and a song lyric from AKUS's most recent release, Lonely Runs Both Ways, was there among the rubble. Reading it over, I thought, "Wow, that's it exactly!"

Now that the holiday hubub is finally waning --- after one last hurrah, a wonderful, absolutely wonderful evening the kids and I spent tonight with the family I work for and our business partners from Hong Kong with their two amazing daughters -- the reality of heartbreak is setting in. Thankfully, I'm in a completely different place than I was the last time this happened almost three years ago, but I'm just realizing a lot of things. I'm really, really grateful that I've come so far in other areas of my life so that I can handle the painful absence I'm finally recognizing.

Losing a relationship is never easy. We've all been there. It's painful and frustrating. When it's also mysterious, it's extra painful, extra confusing, extra everything. The upside of now is that I really am all about getting my head around my goals and contributions and really helping to advance bluegrass and traditional music as both a respected area of study, as well as a more accessible art form. Between helping grow the business I work for and that, I'm pretty set for a while as far as to-do lists. So a good love would be like the umbrella in the drink, vanilla sauce on the side of a good cake. Not necessary, but improving the overall experience.

I had that, and with someone with whom I had absolutely no differences, not once, not ever. Then, the "poof" thing. I gotta get away from that kind of guy. I'll take suggestions...

Meanwhile, back to that lyric I found. It's called "Crazy As Me" -- not "Same Kind of Crazy As Me" of Del and the Boys fame, which I only recently was able to listen to again. This ladies-night version by Alison Krauss really nails it for me -- if he's there, hooray, if not, well, hooray for that too. I'm downloading it from iTunes right now. You can hear it by clicking on the Rhapsody link. At least, I think you can....Anyway, I may just finally have to get this album, and if you have a love of Ron Block and Jerry Douglas like I do, well, I guess it probably should be in your library.

Anway, thanks, all, for putting up with all this whining. Believe me, if you think YOU'RE sick of it, you can imagine how tiresome it is for me. There are a lot of people who stop by here from all over the world looking for lyrics or help or tabs or insight and I need to be there for them, so I promise those readers I will be. Next project is to explore, really explore, what's going on out there, and how to bring it here all for you.

If I don't get back to all of you before tomorrow at midnight, may all good things come to you in 2007.

"Crazy As Me"
I'm used to being alone.
Except for six month flings with diamond rings and phone bills that I've waited for.
This is the life that I chose.
I got no complaints if he is; if he ain't,
I guess he'll send me a rose.

Just don't ask me for the truth if you choose to lie honey.
And don't try to open my door with your skeleton key.
Some folks seem to think I only got one problem.
I can't find nobody as crazy as me.

I still love what I know.
I love to ride alone and sing a song and listen to the radio.
You can ride alone and if you change your mind, well, that's just fine,
But there is somethin' that you got to know.

Just don't ask me for the for the truth if you choose to lie honey.
And don't try to open my door with your skeleton key.
Some folks seem to think I only got one problem.
I can't find nobody as crazy as me.

Just don't ask me for the for the truth if you choose to lie honey.
And don't try to open my door with your skeleton key.
Some folks seem to think I only got one problem.
I can't find nobody as crazy as me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home