Thursday, December 14, 2006

Not in the Hall?! CRAZY!

Bear with me. My boyfriend just dumped me via email. A poem. Classy. I fell for a man who was a better writer than I am, but I have to say, his spelling wasn't that great. Can't win 'em all.

But I'm not gonna fall to pieces. Which brings me to my Girl Friday.

Patsy Cline.

Last week as I strolled the halls of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum, it was pretty obvious how too few women grace those halls and The Wall. As I reported that night over beverages with family and friends, it's a good thing I waited until the second half of my life to consider a real career in the music industry, because if I had gone into it when I was younger, it probably would have killed me. The industry side is tough. Tough, I say. Like breakup by poem. Tougher, in fact.

I started to think about the men from the bluegrass and country side of the house who were included, and somehow it struck me, Patsy Cline is MISSING. HOW could she be LEFT OUT? Like, HELLO.

Born in one of my favorite little towns, Winchester VA, in 1932, Patsy died when she was only 30 years old. She had hit her stride and was poised for continued success when she was killed in a plane crash in 1963. Before that ill-fated flight, she had not only become a major figure in country music, but paved the way for many other women, mentoring the likes of Brenda Lee and Barbara Mandrell and refining the image of the female country vocalist from cowgirl to elegant songstress.

This song is her best known. I'm sure you've sung in earnest or jest at least once. It was written by another artist and human being I admire greatly, Willie Nelson. If I ever get myself a good band, it will be on my list. I may not look like much, but I can throw a good ballad with the best of them.

Sing along now...

Crazy

Crazy
I'm crazy for feeling so lonely
I'm crazy, crazy for feeling so blue
I knew you'd love me as long as you wanted
And then someday you'd leave me for somebody new
Worry, why do I let myself worry?
Wond'ring what in the world did I do?
Crazy for thinking that my love could hold you
I'm crazy for trying and crazy for crying
And I'm crazy for loving you

Crazy for thinking that my love could hold you
I'm crazy for trying and crazy for crying
And I'm crazy for loving you.

So this Girl Friday is for Patsy, and her beautiful voice, and all she gave, and continues to give. What other way is there?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home