Monday, March 20, 2006

My Only Sunshine

Earlier this evening, during the usual chaos that surrounds the homework hour (or as it is becoming, hours), my son announced that as part of his class's study of poetry, he was to bring in the lyric and a recording of a favorite song.

Of course, you can imagine the anxiety this induced. Pick ONE song out of the zillions? They clearly didn't know what they were asking this kid.

But, out of all the songs, all the ballads and even rock and pop, all the Disney movies and even favorite musicals, he picked a song that held special meaning for him.

I first sang "You Are My Sunshine" to Gabe when he was a baby. He's 11 now, and singing it together always makes us feel better. Maybe that's why he picked it out of all the songs in this house and whatever songs he might have at his dad's. And because both his dad and I love music, although not the same kind of music, lemme tell ya, that's a LOT of songs.

The last week or so has really left me struggling to figure out how I can work harder, leaner, and get more meaning out of my life. The last few days in particular have really been somewhat drudgerous (is that a word) with the degree of homework, housework, and general maintenance. Making the kind of serious change that will have lasting impact is going to take courage I don't yet have. But when I step back and look at my sunshines, I am reminded I don't have a choice but to find it.

I think it's safe to say that most of us probably didn't know all the words, so pull out your guitar and start strumming. Same old same old using G, C, and D. The sweet little melody is, like a lot of bluegrass music, such a pleasant little tune that it belies the mournful, sad story expressed in the lyric. My kinderbuddha, who somehow is so keen on human nature and the soulful side of things, enjoys the song for what it is. He understands heartbreak, having had plenty of it already at his age, but it doesn't seem that he's lost his sense of humor yet. So there might be a little hope for the gene pool even if my days of contributing to it are over.

(Oh, and because I can do nothing about it right now, I just want to say that I tried to post a sweet little photo of the three of us but can't because MSN is a piece of shit, and I'm out of time. Something for you all to look forward to when I hit the lotto and can afford DSL.)

You Are My Sunshine
Norman Blake


The other night dear, as I lay sleeping
I dreamed I held you in my arms
But when I woke dear I was mistaken
And I hung my head and I cried

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray
You'll never know dear how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away

I'll always love you and make you happy
If you will only say the same
But if you leave me and love another
You'll regret it all someday

(chorus)

You told me once dear you really loved me
And no one else could come between
But now you've left me to love another
You have shattered all my dreams

(chorus)

In all my dreams dear you seem to leave me
When I awake my poor heart pains
So won't you come back and make me happy
I'll forgive dear I'll take all the blame

(chorus)

1 Comments:

At March 22, 2006 12:53 AM, Blogger Blondie... said...

I love this song but only since the first verse and chorus... I had someone jokingly tell me it was the most stalkerish song they had ever heard and I never felt the same about the rest of it.

HOWEVER, I still sing it to my boy when we're going "nite nite" or in a bit of a rough spot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home