Thursday, March 16, 2006

Girl Friday #6: Slainte!

I have always been a fan of Celtic music, as long as I can remember, even the few occasions I was exposed to it as a little girl. My dad loved bagpipes. Beyond that, whenever I would hear an aire or jig, my heart just would light up. I lived for the "Thistle and Shamrock," a radio show hosted by Fiona Ritchie, still heard on some NPR stations. Funny, but where I ended up, in bluegrass, is really just a long lost relative of ancient and traditional Celtic music influenced over time by newer idioms developed in post-Revolutionary America's plantation fields and deltas.

A few years back my friend Fearless introduced me to the music of Karan Casey. In Ireland, and among Irish and roots fans here, she is legend. Her voice is one of the most beautiful and belying I've ever heard, whether she's singing in English or her native tongue. She has appeared on occasion in Northeast Ohio as a solo artist and guest of a band she founded many years ago, Solas. And she works with the finest contemporary folk and traditional musicians today. Daughter of Fearless took this fine photo of Karan last year at an Irish fest in Chicago. (A. was only 10 at the time -- not bad!)


This title track from Karan's 2003 release, Distant Shore, hit me as especially appropriate in our global community. As I was listening to the album on the way to work, I realized, wow, this is how I feel most of the time...kind of shoreless, without a home. Some of this, I think, has to do with no longer having parents; no matter how old we get, our parents always anchor us to a "place" even though we no longer live there. But sometimes our beliefs and attitudes and convictions can likewise leave us feeling divided from a big chunk of humanity, and I think most of us can relate to that too, with things being what they are on the global stage.

Whether you or Irish or not (I'm not), on this day I wish the people of Northern Ireland peace and freedom. And, I wish you success, freedom, courage, and a sense of connection to whatever your heritage may be. Meanwhile, I'm sitting here with cabbage on the stove and a Smithwick's at my side, hoping you find some comfort today in a small, peaceful way.

Special thanks to Fearless -- Slainte, E!

Distant Shore
(Billy Bragg)
Everyone knows that there’s no place like home
I’m just seeking refuge in a world full of storms
Washed up on a distant shore, can’t go home anymore

The natives are hostile whatever I say
The thing they fear most is I might want to stay
By their side on a different shore, can’t go home anymore

I escape my tormentors by crossing the sea
What I cannot escape is the memory
Washed up on a distant shore, can’t go home anymore

Everyone knows that there’s no place like home
I’m just seeking refuge in a world full of storms
Washed up on a distant shore, can’t go home anymore
Washed up on a distant shore, can’t go home anymore
Washed up on a distant shore, can’t go home anymore

1 Comments:

At March 19, 2006 2:23 PM, Blogger Darkneuro said...

I have so just downloaded her :) Thank you!!! Slainte!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home