Saturday, November 05, 2005

Take Me For Longing, Or...

While I'm normally pretty darn upbeat here--because, after all, it's bluegrass!--these last few days -- ok, the last couple of years -- have held a few unpleasant moments. So here's a vent, and I dedicate it to all those strong, intelligent, hardworking, passionate women out there who are sitting around, alone, scratching their heads, wondering, wondering, wondering.

Now, I'm not easy to love. I've screwed up a few times, most notably by marrying some fool who really couldn't give a rat's ass about anything but making sure I was the butt of every joke he made. Once clear of that train wreck, I managed to stumble into an ill-fated love story with a man who only too late -- after he'd already killed my love for him with a number of weapons -- recognized what a real deal I am. Now, I like my independence, that's true. In fact, were I ever to really get my panties in a bunch over somebody, giving up my way of life, even for something infinitely better, might actually be difficult.

But at this point, dear readers, you and I may never know! One thing is certain, though, I'll never settle again. And I hope you won't either. As I assured a fellow fine woman blogger going through a similar pass earlier this week, we deserve to be ADORED. PERIOD. Damn it!

I wish I were more competent at offering you audio delicacies, but, I suck at it. So I'll just tell you about this next one which should have a teeny clip attached above.

Of the very very too too few bands fronted by women in bluegrass, Alison Krauss and Union Station is one kind of band. This is a collection of extraordinary seasoned musicians -- including Ohio's very own Jerry Douglas (isnt' he the only dobro player in the world?), the phenomenal Ron Block on banjo, and the unforgettable voice of Dan Tyminski (George Clooney's singing voice in O! Brother) She brings to it her trademark buttery voice -- the type I'm not personally particularly fond of because it's almost "too pretty" for bluegrass. However, on the band's stunning live release, she does belt out a few. Among them this evocative gem written by Mark Simos. It's my best offer, at the moment.

TAKE ME FOR LONGING

Don't choose me because I am faithful.
Don't choose me because I am kind.
If your heart settles on me, I'm for the taking.
Take me for longing or leave me behind.

I would be, for you, a fire in a rainbow,
I would be, for you, an opening door.
Time and hard lessons are one kind of wisdom.
Try to forget them or love me no more.

(instrumental)

I'm not asking your heart to believe me.
I'm not asking for promise or pledge.
Whatever the answer, it's yes that's the question.
I am the fool dancin' over the edge.

(instrumental)

Don't choose me because I am faithful.
Don't choose me because I am kind.
If your heart settles on me, I'm for the taking.
Take me for longing or leave me behind.

5 Comments:

At November 06, 2005 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At November 06, 2005 4:04 PM, Blogger My Boring Best said...

Hey Beautiful,

Life can really throw us for a curve at times. I'm sorry to hear that you've had your share of heartache.

What matters is that you've grown through the process and will not make the same "mistakes." Yeah, I know it sounds like a cliche sorta' thing to say, but it is true.

Having known you for a little while now, I can honestly say that you are a truly beautiful and intelligent woman with much to offer this world. Any man lucky enough to land you should thank his lucky stars.

:-)

 
At November 06, 2005 10:07 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Jim,

You're too much. I appreciate your understanding. "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..."

Anyway, I hope you're right. And if not, and I have to take the world by storm singlehandedly, well, so be it! I'm glad you're around to cheer me on. I do thank my "lucky" stars and actually, the whole lot of them, for that.

 
At November 07, 2005 11:23 AM, Blogger Shannon said...

Once again I am happy and honest in saying I am glad I can be perfectly content by myself and un-coupled. I think I might lack the lonliness and coupling genes (which as a gay man is very intesting becasue from my experience it seems that most gay men yearn for a relaionship and are always out there looking for one).

So without taking sides, I am always here for you Jen, just Yell or in the spirit of the Blog a Bluegrass yelp!

 
At November 08, 2005 8:04 AM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Hey Shannon, thanks for the comment. And I agree, I don't generally feel "lonely" and I like my alone time immensely. It's usually not until I become someone's Dungbucket of the Day that I feel like I'm on an island. But fortunately that doesn't happen very often and I can isolate the number of offenders to, oh, one.

Hey! You're right! What am I complaining about! LOL!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home