Sunday, October 23, 2005

And Now Back to Banjo!


All right now, I realize that last post was a bit heavy. And for the most part it's not what you're likely to see here on this blog. But I needed to take a moment to process, and I hope you'll forgive me. I hope Dirk Powell forgives me, but it's my guess he'd understand.

Now, look to your right. Aren't they gorgeous? This is a collection of Ome open-backed banjos. The open-backed style is what delivers that honest, raw, just-came-down-from-the-mountain sound, as opposed to the more polished bluegrass style.

This little snippet from one of my favorite bands, Polecat Creek, gives you a taste of what I mean. Enjoy.

http://www.polecatcreek.net/mp3/Bluebird.mp3

4 Comments:

At October 24, 2005 7:09 PM, Blogger My Boring Best said...

They look pretty nice to me. Then again, I don't know much about banjo's.

Well, I do know that one was featured in "Deliverance" but that was a little weird, you know?

I've always wished I could play "Foggy Mountain Breakdown." That would be sooooo cool. Then I could die.

 
At October 24, 2005 7:22 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

LOL, in that case I'm fully in favor of you NOT learning "Foggy Mountain Breakdown." Especially if it is as easy as my Godperson Banjo Teaching Dude proclaims.

I'm looking forward to fondling an Ome or two in a few days. If I decide to buy one I'll have to leave one of my kids in Nashville and use the extra seat for the Ome.
;-)

 
At October 29, 2005 10:08 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

OK Mama, this is too wierd. You know I've wanted to learn to play the banjo (same tuning as a cello after all) and just the other night Jim and I were at the wonderful world of Wal-mart and they are selling checp ole banjos... just the kind Iwould need to see if I can learn the thing....


hugs.

 
At October 31, 2005 2:46 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Hey Shannon,
Of course it's FABULOUS that you might finally break down (no pun intended) and fall for banjo, but don't you DARE buy a banjo at Wal-Mart! You can get a Deering Goodtime for around $300 at the Gitterpicker String Factory in Twinsburg! I can guarantee it'll sound a lot better for a lot longer.

I'll let you know when Gitterpicker holds another banjo workshop...you can try it for yourself and see just how easy it is! In fact, next time you're down my way, let's plan a trip over there. You're likely to get a free lesson!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home