Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Rosa Parks Goes Home

America has lost a great prizefighter. Last night, at the age of 92, Mrs. Parks died peacefully at home with her loved ones beside her. She was living proof that one person can turn the tide of history and make a difference in the lives of millions of people. Any act of kindness, defiance, or generosity, no matter how small, has some impact, somewhere.

I first heard this beautiful song as recorded by the contemporary bluegrass band, Hot Rize. They sang it in quartet format along with the traditional bluegrass breaks. Not long after the recording the band lost guitarist Charles Sawtelle. The day after I heard it, I lost my mother. So it has been a special song, one that helps me to understand that great passage we all must travel someday.

Hazel Dickens has dedicated her life to this music. A native Appalachian born and raised in Mercer County, West Virginia, she has been a powerful force in bluegrass music.

Now set and sing a spell for Rosa.

WON'T YOU COME AND SING FOR ME by Hazel Dickens
(Source: www.cowboylyrics.com/tabs/dickens-hazel)


E D A
I feel the shadows now upon me
D A E
And fair angels beckon to me.
D A
Before I go today, my brother,
E D A
Won't you come and sing for me?

Chorus:
D A
Sing the hymn we sang together
E D A
In that plain little church where the benches are worn.
D A
How dear to my heart, how precious the moment

E D A
We stood shaking hands and singing a song.

My burden is heavy, my way has grown weary.
I have traveled a road that is long.
And it would cheer my heart, my brother
If you would come and sing one song.

Chorus-----

In my home beyond the dark river
Your dear faces no more I will see.
And when we meet, well there's no sad parting.
Won't you come and sing for me.

Chorus-----

4 Comments:

At October 25, 2005 4:31 PM, Blogger My Boring Best said...

Nice post. Like to hear that song sometime.

 
At October 25, 2005 5:57 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Thanks. I pulled out the Hot Rize version and cheered myself up on the way to work in the gloomy morning rain. I'll give ya a listen sometime.

 
At October 26, 2005 9:17 AM, Blogger Jamie said...

I'll have to look that song up. Appropriate and touching.

Thanks for the visit!

 
At October 27, 2005 7:20 AM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Jag, thanks for stopping by. Please visit and share some nuggets on life in Music City...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home