Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Broke Down and Lonesome

It seems there's an awful lot of grief and sorrow running around these days. My friends and family, not to mention yours truly, all seem to be done under by one worldly affliction or another. Sometimes it's a hurt from the past come back to haunt, or a situation bringing a new lesson we weren't necessarily asking to learn, or just the latest kick in the head for no apparent reason. All I know is a number of people I hold dear feel that they're at the bottom of the mountain, the rest of their lives are at the top, and they've got bare feet.

It's not fun, but it's real. And that's what life on this earth is about, feeling every bit of the joy and sorrow, because that's all we've got. We all know the only thing to do is keep on climbing, and hope to get something out of the journey.

Music is what helps me on that journey. When the cosmic caca comes a callin', even when I'm in the foulest of moods, I find that a little bluegrass brings me back to a happier place.

So in honor of my troubled loved ones and everyone out there carrying around their own 20 pound bag of troubles, I direct you to this track from King Wilkie's latest, Broke, a fine recording by a fine assembly of very talented young musicians. It's not the happiest of tunes, but like life, it's real, so turn up the volume, sit back, and enjoy. Or pick up your favorite instrument and play along. Whatever you do, I hope it brightens the journey for you today.

http://www.kingwilkie.com/multimedia.php

Stay real!

MandoMama

2 Comments:

At October 21, 2005 12:57 PM, Blogger DrDon said...

Good post. I agree with life. Life is about the highs and the lows. That's why I never understood people who came to see me and wanted to just take meds to always be happy. I promise I'l give a listen to the music when I get a chance.

 
At October 21, 2005 5:48 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Thank you Dr. Don. I'm glad you agree. I think you'll find that you might have a good bit in common with the folks who enjoy bluegrass. I hope you'll visit often and share some of your favorite musical anecdotes, bluegrass or not.
--MM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home