Monday, October 17, 2005

Wildwood Flower

Welcome to For the Love of Bluegrass, a place dedicated to the people, history, and living practice of traditional, mountain, old-timey, or bluegrass music. I hope you'll stop by often, share a story or song of your own, spread a little excitement about the music, or just come sit a spell.

While the formatting and presentation all have a long way to go, I don't want that to hold us all up. So to get the ball rolling, here's a version of Wildwood Flower, one of my favorite tunes. Come back with other verses you know, your favorite version, where you first heard this (for me 'twas Robin and Linda Williams and their Fine Band), or any other story or trad trivia tidbit.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Wildwood Flower
Traditional

I will twine and will mingle my waving black hair
With the roses so red and the lilies so fair
The myrtle so green of an emerald hue
The pale emanita and violets of blue

Oh he promised to love me, he promised to love
To cherish me always all others above
I woke from my dream and my idol was clay
My passion for loving had vanished away

Oh he taught me to love him, he called me his flower
A blossom to cheer him through life's weary hour
But now he has gone and left him alone
The wild flowers to weep and the wild birds to moan

I'll dance and I'll sing and my life shall be gay
I'll charm every heart in the crowd I survey
Though my heart now is breaking, he shall never know
How his name makes me tremble, my pale cheeks to glow

I'll dance and I'll sing and my life shall be gay
I'll banish this weeping, drive troubles away
I'll live yet to see him, regret this dark hour
When he won and neglected his frail wildwood flower

Alternate verses:
I'll twine with my ringlets and waving black hair
With the roses so red and the lilies so fair
And the myrtles so bright with emerald dew
The pale and the leader and eyes look like blue

I'll think of him never, I'll be wild and gay
I'll cease this wild weeping, drive sorrow away
But I wake from my dreaming, my idol was clay
My visions of love have all vanished away

5 Comments:

At October 19, 2005 7:26 AM, Blogger My Boring Best said...

Hey! I'm the first person to comment on what I'm sure will be a wonderful blog. :-)

You are a beautiful woman with much to say to the world. Now get busy!

Signed,
Your First Faithful Reader

 
At October 19, 2005 9:21 AM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Hey, you! Thanks for stopping by, and for the support. I'll be counting on your constructive criticism and bright ideas...but be careful, you might learn something yourself!

Hey, how do I link my blog to yours?

 
At October 19, 2005 3:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the blog. I will stop by and may even have something to say once in a while.

BG

 
At October 19, 2005 4:06 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Hi there, Big Guy!

Glad to hear from you. Please do stop by and share a little something with us. And spread the joy with anyone you feel might be interested. Perhaps we can light a little fire under the seats of a few unconverted -- to the music, that is.

 
At October 21, 2005 6:30 PM, Blogger My Boring Best said...

I'll be happy to show you how to set up links and stuff. It will be a whole lot easier if I show you, instead of tell you. It took me a little while to get the hang of it.

We need to get some images on this here blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home