Saturday, December 12, 2009

Like It Or Not, Christmas Time's A Comin!

Well, it's officially the holidays. The tree is up, one kid has already done his school concert and another is this coming week, just about all the gifts are acquired and some even wrapped, and this evening I wandered into that fourth dimension where I do my baking. All last weekend we ushered in the season with good friends and food and some laughs together. Despite everything -- the war, the economy, a most trepidatious year of my own, and the inexplicable constant and extremely annoying presence of Sarah Palin and Dick Cheney, neither of whom are Vice President -- I find myself in a merry mood. Not a whole lot has changed, but maybe because it's been such a hellacious year I feel it's more important than ever to make the best use of these precious holiday times.

Everyone who knows me knows I love to bake. It's a sickness in my family, actually, but I'm trying to be a bit more restrained because it is a lot of work and I don't want to be in the kitchen the entire brief time the kids are home before Christmas. So I determined to kickoff the baking tonight while listening to WKSU. At some point I decided I needed a little more mando in the kitchen monitor and was poking around, and stumbled across this good old bluegrass Christmas tune sung here by just about my favorite Person of Bluegrass, Tim O'Brien. That's a fine lineup there with Bryan Sutton, Ol Danny Barnes on the banjer and Mr. Dennis Crouch on the base. While I line up my recipes for tomorrow's marathon, grab yourself an eggnog or a dance partner and turn up your speakers!

3 Comments:

At December 14, 2009 10:45 AM, Blogger Blueberry said...

I like that tune a lot, as much as as I'm not generally a fan of the holiday music. I mean, this is not exactly one that gets played to death, is it? Still on the good list.

Come on over, I've got a couple of acoustic fiddle/fiddle, fiddle/mando videos posted from a week ago at a coffee house.

 
At December 17, 2009 4:31 PM, Blogger Kelley Grant-Kelley said...

I love to bake as well! Especially the more complicated things I'd never make during the year - date-nut pinwheels, cherry/apricot filled coffeecakes. Unfortunately I have no children to eat it, so it all goes to my waist instead of going to waste.

I think I'm finally letting go of old baggage enough to actually enjoy this Christmas. Gone back to blogging a bit as well. My sister will be arriving at my parents on Sunday, we will go over Wednesday and then it'll be the big day!

 
At December 17, 2009 10:06 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Blue there is always a lot going on over at the Oasis and I'm glad you nudged me over, the Ludiker pieces are awesome.

Ips, I saw those date pinwheels and had to find something to make with dates. Settled on a skillet cookie recipe which should be interesting. Glad you are so looking forward to a nice Christmas with your family. Tell Mr. Ips to enjoy that guitar!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home