Tuesday, April 08, 2008

A Little Bit of Summer Soon Gone

I've decided to disown my neighbor. Tonight at the fitness center, she broke the news that this weekend we will be facing the "S" word again. I just told my sister last night how I have almost forgot the 10 foot high piles of the stuff taking over parking spaces everywhere.

This week was, is, a wonderful windows-open, play outside, hear-the-frogs week. The other day at the bike path the frogs were chirping so loudly that they overcame the Cherryholmes I had brought along on my run. Driving to and from work with windows down and bluegrass a-blazin' again makes me feel like a troublemaker. When I went up to work out this evening, for the first time I didn't have a jacket -- what do I do with my keys? Relinquishing this week of warm weather wonders is going to be very difficult.

One of the treats I've been enjoying, as you know, is Tim O's new release. There is a particularly outdoorsy summery tune on there devoted to a grocer in Wheeling called Megna's. I don't know whether Megna's is still around, but when I heard the tune of the same name, I had a flashback of a guy named Paul Megna, who I believe was on the comedy team for the high school revue we did every year with our brother school in town (Linsly Institute, of which Mr. O'Brien is an unlikely product).

One thing that will brighten the weekend is sharing this tune for the first time with my daughter. She will love it, I know, and ask to hear it again and again. She will have just the right moves to go along with it, too. There will be many evenings of laughing and dancing to Megna's. It will bring us a little bit of summer even when it's still snowing in April...or even May. And maybe sometime this summer, I'll take my kids back to Wheeling and if we can't find Megna's, we'll head on over to the Center Market and get a fish sandwich before stopping over at Towngate Theatre or popping in on Tom Stobart's bookstore if it's still there. You never know what little treasures you'll find in unexpected places.

Here's Megna's...produce. Right to your door. Enjoy.

7 Comments:

At April 09, 2008 7:52 AM, Blogger DrDon said...

All I know is that if my weeping cherry blossoms get killed again this Spring, I'm really going to be pissed off. Other than that, a dusting of snow I can live with. As long as it's not enough to shovel.

 
At April 09, 2008 10:18 AM, Blogger Blueberry said...

Enjoy your weather. We have broken 90 a couple of times already but 80s have been typical for weeks... and it's not even summer (nor is that considered summer weather).

Mosquitoes will be the herald of summer after crane flies die off. Flies and bees have been active for awhile already.

Forget the thermometer. We need a bugometer to really tell what's up.

 
At April 09, 2008 1:57 PM, Blogger DrDon said...

Bugometer. That's hilarious.

 
At April 09, 2008 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember an April snow shower my senior year of high school (1987) and me traveling to Denison for Honors weekend through about 3 feet of snow.


But I am sure this weekend wil be nothing.

 
At April 09, 2008 8:14 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Dr. Don is sad.
Weeping cherry blossoms fall
Die a Cleveland death.

Blueberry is happy.
Gets patent for bug-o-meter.
She can quit her job!

Shannon is silly.
Snow this weekend nothing?
Some kids never grow up.

;-)
mm

 
At April 09, 2008 9:31 PM, Blogger Blueberry said...

Whether the weather
takes away your happiness
or not, roll with it.

;-)
bb

 
At April 10, 2008 6:51 AM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

LOL! Woohoo, we're on a roll..

A contact at the MN opera just said it's going to be 70 there today and then they're looking at 8inches of snow over the next few days. Supposed to be lower 70s here tomorrow, then cold again (and yes, Shannon, snow). I think it's some of that jerking around that makes me a little crazy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home