Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Banjo Hounds At My Door


It's been a trial, lately, all I can say. But better days are coming, and they start this Friday (April 25) at Wilbert's in Downtown Cleveland. That's 'cause banjo great Tony Trischka will be playing, and I'll be listening, with a beer in my hand and a wide Mando Mama banjo-lovin' smile on my face.

You can check it out with me, or you can check out Tony's MySpace page here to listen and to read a little about this banjo virtuoso. Or, you can come to Wilbert's. Or, you can go to his main Web site here and hear "Fox Chase," which is a helluva butt-kicker. Or, you can come to Wilbert's and here it live. Or, you can check out this tune, Old Stone Church (with one of my favorite fiddlers, Bruce Molsky) which is the name of an old church right on Cleveland's Public Square.

Or you can head south from Old Stone Church a few blocks to Wilbert's, pay twelve bucks, have a beer with me, put a smile on your face, and watch Tony do his banjo magic thang the way Fred Astaire danced, or the way Picasso painted.

3 Comments:

At April 23, 2008 6:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tonight (4/23) Tim O'Brien is going to try and call into a radio show on WBGU-FM 88.1. It's called "Twisted Frets" and is hosted by Cole Christensen. He plays all of the good stuff every Wednesday from 10:00 PM to Midnight (Eastern Time)
Tonight (hopefully) he'll be chatting with Tim and featuring "Chamelon."

Streamed on the web at http://www.wbgufm.com/tunein.php

Yesterday, I had to go through a medical testing ordeal where there were LOONNNNG periods of "hurry up and wait." I took my daughters personal CD player and it gave me another chance to listen to all the way through "Chameleon" (or "All Tim, All the Time")

Three observations:
1. This is a REALLY Great record.

2. Romantic love songs may be what makes the world go round, but when Tim slips in a mention of his mom and her passing it REALLY hits me where I live.

3. I've decided that the measure of a great recording is when it takes you to a different space.

 
At April 25, 2008 8:17 AM, Blogger Blueberry said...

Enjoy the show tonight. Sounds wonderful! We are in movie-mode and will kick back in with the concerts next week: The Greencards, Mandolin Mayhem, and a non-bluegrass house concert.

 
At April 25, 2008 6:13 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Howdy all-
I missed the show, Fearless, but maybe they'll have it to stream?

Hey Blueberry--I saw the teaser on Texas Oasis about Mando Mayhem...you guys have it so much better than all y'all realize!

The show will be a grand experiment. Wilbert's owner assures me it's an all-ages kind of gig so we're going to test market it! Given that there are sports-related fireworks going down, we may be in for a long night since the show can't start 'til the fireworks stop. But what's life without the odd adventure here and there?!

Hope you see some good movies...I'm having a hankerin' for The Last Waltz myself.

Cheers!

MM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home