Tuesday, April 01, 2008

A Little Punch-y


This week I'm taking myself out for a rare midweek break. The Kent Stage is celebrating its 6th Birthday, and as part of their fabulous lineup, they're presenting The Punch Brothers, a new lineup featuring former Nickel Creeker Chris Thile (mando), banjo man Noam Pikelny, former Stringduster Chris Eldridge (guitar), Leftover (Salmon) Greg Garrison, and Violinist Gabe Witcher.

Take a listen there on the link, or visit the official website here. If you like to think of your self as an outside the boxer music fan, get thee to the Stage at 8 p.m. Wednesday -- that's tomorrow! -- April 2 (no foolin'!).

The Punch Brothers have been making the rounds on Leno, NPR, and a host of other media outlets to share their unusual brand of stringfusion and to pimp their release, titled simply, Punch. So if you can, punch out a little early and stop by.

5 Comments:

At April 02, 2008 8:48 AM, Blogger Blueberry said...

Oh you lucky thing! I've seen Chris Thile quite a few times and worship at his feet, but his solo band has managed to avoid this area completely... and no shows coming up here either. {sigh}

That makes ME a little punchy.

 
At April 03, 2008 7:04 AM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Oh Blueberry, I AM lucky! The show was great. The Kent Stage was the perfect venue for this configuration, and especially with the sort of chamber music treatment they give some of Thile's rambling pieces. I can't imagine why they wouldn't come down that way but hopefully they'll change their tune.

I had a beer in your honor, btw. I don't drink much beer anymore but I felt it was necessary. ;-)

 
At April 03, 2008 8:47 AM, Blogger Blueberry said...

mmmm. Beeeeer.....

 
At April 05, 2008 10:25 AM, Blogger Diana @ Red Delicious Life said...

Hey - I only know of one song by NickelCreek. Do you have any of their music?? I'd love to hear more.

 
At April 05, 2008 6:17 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Not to worry, Lady Di, we've got you covered. I will get my act together and compile a few things in hopes we can get together -- now that it appears last-minute- surprise-rush-hour-blizzard season is behind us. I hope.

For starters, visit their MySpace:

http://www.myspace.com/nickelcreek

Lots of tunes to check out there.
They're "broke up" at the moment but I believe all the band members are keepin' busy. Blueberry can probably confirm.

Enjoy! See you soon!
Hugs,
MM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home