Monday, February 11, 2008

Dear Bluegrass Diary

That's sort of what this blog has become, and frankly, I ain't too proud of it.


In going back over some old blogs for fun (and to remind myself that, nah, he deserved it) I realized how far away things have gotten from the music. I keep pledging to turn it around but some days it's not easy. Some days, I have to explain to my kids why being an ass is no way to impress people or make or keep friends. A lot of days are spent painfully choosing the high road. The working out is probably a good thing because Lawd, the way it is steep. Give me strength.

I did hear that Jim Lauderdale, whose songs and singing I adore, won another Grammy, this time for his album, The Bluegrass Diaries. There's not a song I've enjoyed of his that I didn't wish I'd written or recorded myself. He's such a joy to experience in concert, too. A quiet, strong command.

Here's to Jim and working long years to make a dream come true, and having fun all the while. That's a model worth following. It's such a long journey, to get it right, to leave the crap at the side of the road, to not hug the porcupine or bite the hook. At some point you realize all you get is a poke in the finger or a hole in the roof of your mouth, and that just slows you down.

Enjoy a toe-tapper from Lauderdale's 2008 grammy score. It's appropriate fodder for "throwing in reverse" some old habits, and it's called "This Is The Last Time (I'm Ever Gonna Hurt)."


6 Comments:

At February 12, 2008 10:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, MM; you're being to harsh on yourself! If you can't talk about your troll of an ex on your own blog amongst your friends, then what's the point of blogging?!

Love you!

Shadow/J

 
At February 13, 2008 6:09 AM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Hey Shadow,
I guess I hadn't realized how much more I did used to write about the music. I'm sure I haven't learned everything there is to learn about it, and it's so much more fun!

 
At February 14, 2008 8:10 AM, Blogger Shameless Agitator said...

It's easy to forget that when you post something to your blog, you aren't just sharing within your friends, you are sharing it with the whole world. When that point is driven home, it always shakes me a bit and motivates me to take down the personal stuff. The only way I can explain it is that sometimes I spiral outward and other times I spiral inward. When I spiral outward I share to much, when I spiral inward I take the posts down. You have to do what is comfortable. Your blog is yours and yours alone. If something you posted in the past suddenly feels too personal to share with the entire internet, take it down. Throw it into the firepit, so to speak!

Love,
Shameless

 
At February 14, 2008 10:36 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Hi Shameless,
It's less that it's too personal than too often personal, I think. There's no potential in what's past or what can't be changed. Look at Ann Coulter.

I just feel that I should make this a positive place for musical ideas to be born, enjoyed, listened to. We all love music of some kind so much, it's a shame to waste space on much else. There have always been people who thought themselves legends in their own minds. What exactly do they have to do with me? Nothing, thank God.

 
At February 15, 2008 9:20 AM, Blogger Shameless Agitator said...

I nearly snorted on my laptop screen on the Ann Coulter comment! LOL! Good thing she said she'd vote for Hillary before she would ever vote for McCain!

You have always done a good job of using your wonderful storytelling to hook readers in and then share with us lyrics and a song. The best writers use personal stories to draw a reader in and then connect it to the larger world. You do that all the time here. You do a wonderful job!

Thank you for expanding my musical horizons!

Love,
Shameless

 
At February 16, 2008 8:07 AM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Awww, ok, thanks. I do appreciate that you guys stop by. I appreciate everyone who does. And everyone who does should have the opportunity to learn something here, whether it's about music, me, or themselves, I guess.

I was telling a friend last night that one of the most special moments was when I got a mesage from Linda Rice, widow of Larry Rice. It was about a year ago. I realized this place is really for the people who make the music too, and the people they support.

Thank you all!

Global hug,
MM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home