Thursday, January 31, 2008

Batten Down

Presumably, one of the season's most crippling storms is on its way here right now with the intention of putting a bit of a crimp in my morning drive style tomorrow. The amount of evening chaos we slogged through tonight is probably a good indication that it will all be for naught. It would be ok with me if when I set out tomorrow my kids are still sound asleep.

Readers everywhere probably have been having some pretty weird weather this year. The pattern we are experiencing now for the fifth or sixth time is unseasonably warm weather, followed by high winds, followed in very short order by extreme cold, followed by an inconvenient storm. It's getting old already. But I have one question: as long as weather is treated like the news, why in the hell don't they talk about what is really going on?

I was a little sorry the other day when Sen. John Edwards pulled out of the race. Then I read that he has a 28 THOUSAND square foot house. When he said, "This son of a steelworker is gonna be just fine," he sure wasn't kidding. Now, Sen. Edwards was one of the few people to talk about climate change without being prompted. But, how exactly do you heat a 28,000 sq.ft. home? For someone whose intentions are to erase poverty and help the environment, this is one heckuva way to show it.

More than a couple times this week, I thought about how nice it would be to hit the lottery. But I never can get past not working. What would I do with my time? I'd have to do something. After taking care of my family and a few close friends, I would weather the rest of the storm in some other fashion. I might devote myself to music, and get more involved in a couple other causes. I'd be here for my kids. And that's about it. No 28,000 foot house. Maybe a nice piece of land in the country and a sturdy house with a good furnace and a nice pickin' porch. Maybe a hybrid car. Maybe a better mandolin, one that feels better and is easier to play.

But til then, it's an early night because there's work tomorrow and a storm a comin' tonight.

Old Plug
Bob Degree and The Bluegrass Storm

4 Comments:

At February 01, 2008 11:27 AM, Blogger Blueberry said...

We even have trouble heating the rooms with high ceilings... not mention the fact that we are going to be in the high 60s to high 70s for the next week...

Our politicians are like royalty, aren't they? Gross amounts of wealth are required for campaigning, etc. What a bad system. And if, just for once, a politician would lead by example I think they would be labeled a crackpot.

Stay warm, if possible.

 
At February 01, 2008 9:20 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Ohhh Blueberry. I remember 60s and 70s. Well, wait a minute. The last time we had high winds and lost our power, I think it was nearly 60 or so that day, maybe warmer. Maybe it's not such a good thing in Ohio this time of year.

I'm afraid you're right. If John Edwards had the courage to sell his big house or open it up for homeless children, I'd feel like I could take him more seriously. But the notion that his house is something like TWENTY TIMES the size of my own is just beyond the pale. I'm so disappointed and bummed. I was willing to forgive the haircut.

I'll think of warm Texas and all the critters in your garden, even the spidies, to help warm meself up. Hope you have a great weekend in store.

 
At February 02, 2008 9:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a similar reaction when I looked at the statistics on Al Gore's house and his energy consumption. When it seems that elections are almost literally bought and sold, it's hard not to be reminded of the last days of the Roman Empire; at least the Romans were honest about elections being a transaction.

At any rate, I hope you survived this storm unscathed.

Much love,

Shadow/J

 
At February 03, 2008 12:22 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Hi Shadow!
Me too! The whole Al Gore thing...I'm sure he does what he can to reduce the impact of his big house, but I don't think it's any 28,000 sqft. I could be wrong. And I'm not saying Sen. Edwards, who I personally find very engaging and inspiring, is not entitled to a big house. But when something like that is so far out of alignment with what one is preaching and using to get in the good graces of the electorate, it's hard for me to throw any weight behind his behalf.

I'm hoping that as Rome wasn't built in a day, neither will the US crash and burn without a few factions holding up what is essentially a good idea. Cross your fingers.

Let's get together soon!

MM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home