Sunday, September 23, 2007

Happy Birthday Shameless!

This weekend was a lot of fun. The kids and I spent most of it with our good friend Shameless and her family to celebrate her 40th birthday! It was fun to see so many old friends and spend time with some new ones, too. We had a lot of laughs, relived some pretty good memories, and wondered where the time goes. (Shannon retells the story of the birth of my daughter better than anybody and we always end up howling.) And to top it all off, there was unexpected live music from a very fine group of musicians known as the Bell Brothers.

As I sat with Mr. and Mrs. Ipsissimus and Janice our conversation was occasionally broken by little squeals of delight as this mystery band broke out different instruments one by one. "OOH, what's THAT?... O man, check it out, they have a a diggerydoo..... No way, there's a banjo! THREE mandolins? Do we have time to go for a walk?....I have not had enough to drink to go up and play those drums, JimBob..." It was awesome.

I heartily endorse celebrating with friends and family (we all went back to the house afterwards and were treated to a video presentation our kids had worked on in our absence -- and I mean everybody, from age 16 down to age 3) as often as possible, and not waiting for birthdays. Tell the universe you want to invite a little unplanned live music to mix in with the celebration, and the evening will be complete.

One word on Ms. Shameless: she is one of the smartest, funniest, warmest, coolest people I've had the pleasure of knowing almost half my life (and just about exactly half hers). I am enormously grateful for her friendship, which came to me because she was a friend of X and I had been a friend of Mr. Shameless. Looking at our children this morning so incredibly grown, it's just almost impossible to believe how we managed to get through some pretty incredible times, all measurably intact. We were all once so green.


Visit Bell Acoustic at their MySpace page and check out the tune by that title, as well as another, "Always Mistaken," which opened their show last night. It was a gorgeous piece that brought together drums, banjo, diggerydoo, and some traditional East Indian chanting. Kind of like the mix among Shameless's guests. Surprising, yet, perfect.

5 Comments:

At September 24, 2007 8:55 AM, Blogger Kelley Grant-Kelley said...

The CD I bought from Bell Acoustics doesn't play! The surface is bubbled so it skips. Very disappointing - I'm going to their website to let them know they need to do a quality control check of their remaining cds. Had a blast - favorite quote of the night: when you were looking at the overly muscled and tatooed bartender who'd just taken over the bar and asked "If I asked for a Cosmopolitan do you think he'd hand me a magazine?"
Ipsissimus

 
At September 24, 2007 9:53 AM, Blogger Shameless Agitator said...

Oh MandoMama, you're going to make me cry!

Love,
Shameless

 
At September 24, 2007 7:44 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Hey Ipsissimus! I had so much fun hanging with you and Mr. Ipsissimus. He's a riot and you two are adorable.

I am so disappointed to hear the Bell Acoustic CD is messed up. They need to trade you for that!

I'm also disappointed that I didn't get to see Mr. Ink throw me a Cosmo. We'll never know if he had what it takes. You know, when I came back in after a walk with a couple other party-goers, he tried to bounce us, astonished, evidently, that we were all attending the same party for our wonderful dear Shameless!

I hope you didn't cry, Shameless. I hope you smiled and thought about all the great times we had over the weekend and through the years gone by. Between our little Weatherman and Valley Girl, we'll be well taken care of in our old age.

Hugs to you both,
MM

 
At September 24, 2007 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your complete joy over the band was the perfect way to end a wonderful night. The band sounded great from the tidbit we heard, but I think Bruno and I were more enchanted by your reaction to the band. :-)

What a treat it was to see all of you on that lovely evening!

 
At September 25, 2007 10:51 AM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Dear Piepiepie, you hit the nail on the head. Joy!!! I was already having a great time catching up with you and Mr. Pie and then the live music -- why, it was the icing on the birthday party cake. And it wasn't even my birthday, lol!

Love,
MM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home