Thursday, September 20, 2007

That Beautiful Sound...Is A Banjo

While Bluegrass is mostly what I practice, my favorite music to play and often to listen to is music of the Baroque period. Some of you know Bela Fleck's recording, "Perpetual Motion". It's one of my favorites, and it was such a joy to stumble across, because here united was my favorite music on one of my favorite instruments. As unlikely a match as it may seem, the Banjo is perfectly suited to the intricate themes and patterns of the Baroque partita and other forms.

Truly I love music through and through, and I love musicians who take risks and ask the "what ifs".

Banjo is not just for hillbillies. In fact, it's a damn tricky instrument to play, not to mention pretty heavy, so if you see a hillbilly playing one, chances are he or she is at least as smart as you are, with a good back to boot.

So go on and give this a listen. If it doesn't put a smile on your face I'll buy you a coffee cantata.

1 Comments:

At September 21, 2007 10:00 PM, Blogger Blueberry said...

I don't have Perpetual Motion yet, but I want it. So much music, so little $$. I will keep looking through the bins for a bargain!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home