Sunday, August 19, 2007

Time for School, Time to Soar

Tomorrow begins the new school year in our family. I can't say I'm not ready, but, it did come up awfully fast. And we seem to be among school districts one of those returning earliest. Summer is officially over.

And, it went out with a rainstorm today. I was hoping to catch a little spare time with my daughter while her brother golfed with dad, but alas, the weather interfered with my hopes. So I made the best of the time and got quite a lot done.

I also enjoyed the opportunity to slow things down a bit these last couple of days, and do a few things just for me. Yesterday I spent visiting with two different friends, and had a great meal and a late night practice session which was unexpected but badly needed and great fun. It was refreshing to pick up my old friend Mando. Today, with the weather not in my favor, I set to work a project I'd promised I'd help with for one of my volunteer gigs, ventured south to a whole foods market where one of my favorite bands, The Rhondas, was playing, came home and made myself a really nice healthy meal, caught up on all my laundry, read for more than five consecutive minutes, played that tune I learned last night, and even took a little nap.

Something about the day felt a little selfish, somehow, and a teensy bit sad. Not having the kids around should be an opportunity to really push myself, and I did, although not nearly as hard as I could have. I am thinking of them and their excitement (and probably some dread) as tomorrow looms. I'm thinking about the new sneakers my giddy daughter told me about (thank Shiva someone else finally took her shoe shopping) and how my son noted that this year marks the eighth for his book back (LL Bean rocks). I'm thinking of how they'll be doing respectively at 6:30 and 8:30 when school rolls around for each of them. I'm even thinking I'm glad that X gets to enjoy the first day, and that he did a lot to get them ready this year.

Next week I will get to experience a few firsts as my son grabs the bus at the bottom of the hill at 6:25, and my daughter gets to introduce me to her new latchkey teachers. Tomorrow there will be paperwork and juggling and in just a few short weeks back to high gear homework mode. The excitement will have waned and reality will set in.

But it's another year for all of us to grow and learn. We never really stop, but when school is in session there are always new opportunities and challenges. Keeping an open mind, open, heart, and open eyes is the best way to get through.

This Nickel Creek favorite goes out to my son and daughter, and everyone who's going back to school this week with hopes in their hearts and their hearts in their mouths watching their children grow up, up, and away.

When You Come Back Down

You got to leave me now, you got to go alone

You got to chase a dream, one that's all your own
Before it slips away
When you're flyin' high, take my heart along
I'll be the harmony to every lonely song
That you learn to play

When you're soarin' through the air
I'll be your solid ground
Take every chance you dare
I'll still be there
When you come back down
When you come back down

I'll keep lookin' up, awaitin' your return
My greatest fear will be that you will crash and burn
And I won't feel your fire
I'll be the other hand that always holds the line
Connectin' in between your sweet heart and mine
I'm strung out on that wire

And I'll be on the other end,
To hear you when you call
Angel, you were born to fly,
If you get too high
I'll catch you when you fall
I'll catch you when you fall

[Bridge:]Your memory's the sunshine every new day brings
I know the sky is calling Angel, let me help you with your wings

When you're soarin' through the air
I'll be your solid ground
Take every chance you dare
I'll still be there
When you come back down
Take every chance you dare, I'll still be there
When you come back down
When you come back down

2 Comments:

At August 19, 2007 9:58 PM, Blogger Blueberry said...

One of my favorite songs! When I first heard it, I thought it was about a lover and learned later it was written for a child -- but it means very nearly the same thing in either case. Makes me cry sometimes.

Back-to-school for us is just back to the traffic jams morning and evening. "Summer" itself will last well into October if the weather is typical.

 
At August 20, 2007 6:00 AM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Hi Blueberry,
I love this song, too, and it certainly choked me up when I was listening and posting. I played it in my head again with the kids on my heart as I drifted off to sleep.

Traffic and everything else seems to go downhill when school starts. It didn't help that the last day and a half was chilly and it rained all day yesterday. But at least I have a week to prepare myself and figure out the battle plan for getting Kid A down to the bustop and getting myself ready while Kid B is still asleep.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home