Thursday, March 29, 2007

Gone to a Better Home Awaiting

My former mother in law passed away last night. She's free, on her way home, at peace, however one needs to think of it.

To think she is gone is very sad. Losing my own mother was sad, and I imagine what her daughter goes through now is a hundred times more powerful, since she took tender care of her mother and helped her to cross over.

In thinking of a fitting tribute, I recall that she was a fan of original country music. I thought an awful lot about her last week after we watched Walk the Line and thought of the heavy influence of the Carter Family on country music as we know it today.

This recording of the Carter Family, AP, Maybelle, and Sarah, is as original as it gets. The music is always a comfort to me, and I hope it will be a comfort to her and to her family as they move through this difficult passage together. This song of course is the one that concludes each of the "Will the Circle" volumes, the first featuring Mother Maybelle. That recording features her on several tunes with her autoharp. At one point, prior to one song (I can't recall which one but it is a popular tune), there is that pre-recording chatter going on and she says, "I'd like to do this one on the autoharp. I've never recorded it with the autoharp."
I will miss Mother Carrie. She was my children's grandmother, a friend to my family, and a good lady. She had a crone wisdom that she didn't flaunt. Her family now faces the task of moving forward in a new shape without her there, although she'll always be present somehow.
Because the circle always remains unbroken.


I was standing

By the window

On a dark and cloudy day

When I saw the

Hearse come rolling

For to take my mother away


Can the circle be unbroken

By and by, Lord, by and by

There's a better home awaiting

In the sky, Lord, in the sky


Lord, I told the

Undertaker,'Undertaker,Please drive slow

For the body you are takingL

ord, I hate to see her go'


Can the circle be unbroken

By and by, Lord, by and by

There's a better home awaiting

In the sky, Lord, in the sky


I followed

Close behind her

Tried to hold up and be brave

But I could not

Hide my sorrow

When they laid her in the grave


Can the circle be unbroken

By and by, Lord, by and by

There's a better home awaiting

In the sky, Lord, in the sky


Can the circle be unbroken

By and by, Lord, by and by

There's a better home awaiting

In the sky, Lord, in the sky

4 Comments:

At March 30, 2007 8:20 AM, Blogger Shameless Agitator said...

I am so, so sorry for your loss.

Much love,
Shameless

 
At March 30, 2007 2:10 PM, Blogger Blueberry said...

My deepest condolences. The only "parent" I have left is a mother-in-law, and I will surely miss her when she's gone. I was raised on Carter Family music. The Wildwood Flower was one of my bedtime lullabies (and one of the few songs my mother played on the guitar), and Will the Circle Be Unbroken will always make me cry when I think about in regards to losing someone, even though I don't believe in an afterlife (in the traditional sense). Maybe that makes the loss even sadder.

 
At March 30, 2007 2:13 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

The memory of Carrie wanting to feel my hairy chect in the hot tub in Nags Head keeps coming back to me today.... so her energy must be real near-by!

 
At March 30, 2007 5:18 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Thanks all.

Blueberry, what a great memory from childhood. My mother sang to us but often it was that terrible song, "Everytime I go to town/The boys keep kickin' my dog around/Makes no difference if he is a hound/Gotta quit kickin my dog around..." Eeek! About death, and the finality, I think that's true. Then again, where does that energy go?

Shannon, that's the perfect Carrie story. Smiling and chuckling at those fun memories are so important. I hope there's more laughing than crying when my time comes. Thanks for being part of our unique extended family.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home