Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Feelin' the Weight

These days are heavy. I'm not sure why. Work, life, dreams have a heaviness. Not just for me. There's loss hanging in the air, and frustration, and grief. Confusion. Sadness. And a teeny bit of mayhem. Kind of a waiting for what's next. Sometimes the load is a little tough to bear.

Maybe it's that pre-Spring thing, the sense of anticipation in the earth and in the air of all that new life to come. So we persevere through these cumbersome days in exchange for knowing that any day now that warm breeze will blow through town and freshen everything up.

So we persevere. We have to go on. Let go. Be mindful that, ooh, this particular moment sucks quite a bit, but wow, life overall has a good bit of promise. That is, if we're paying attention.

This has always been one of my favorite songs. Here it gets a sweet string treatment by some of my favorite performers, Gillian Welch and David Rawlings along with Old Crow Medicine Show. So take a load off, turn it up. And remember to thank the folks who say, "Put the load right on me."

7 Comments:

At March 22, 2007 8:55 AM, Blogger Women on the Verge said...

Awesome!!!!

ethel

 
At March 22, 2007 8:55 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

It really is a great tune, ain't it???

 
At March 22, 2007 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having had the pleasure of seeing the Band many times, including here in decieveland, Maryland, as well as them opening up for the Grateful Dead several times during summer tour, [what year I can't remember, must have been some good pot left for the summmer that year!] it is good to see a tune by them actually show up here! and coupled with one of my very favs Gillian Welch.

right on

Enjoy!

 
At March 23, 2007 5:54 AM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Y'hello, Wind...

Yeah, it was a nice surprise to see this particular arrangement of folks doing a great tune. I do love that tune. Glad it brought you a little smile!

 
At March 23, 2007 1:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am back again, I saw there are more gillian welch appperances on the you tube that I 'd like to see. I am using f. t. l. o. b. as a launching pad. I takes FOREVER to download on the landline, but I suspect worth "The Weight"!

Enjoy!

 
At March 23, 2007 4:28 PM, Blogger Blueberry said...

I love those two, my favorite is "The Revelator". David Rawlings' guitar playing is intoxicating (and so is her voice). I got his autograph a few years back, could have gotten hers too but I don't like to be pushy (this trait pays off occasionally) (I guess being pushy pays off too, but...)

Hang in there. Warmth and brightness are returning soon.

 
At March 23, 2007 9:20 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Hi Quantum, who'd have thought I'd be a portal to a whole new world?! I have to say, YouTube is The New Red Wine, lol.

Blueberry, I have no doubt that you know when to strike the proper balance between pushy and, well, merely admiring. I am still a Welch/Rawlings virgin; she's playing in Columbus in May but it's a school night, durn it. Thanks for the kind words,too; I believe you're right, things will lighten up soon for us all, if we let 'em.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home