Sunday, April 16, 2006

Saturdays Were Made for This

My children and I are enjoying the best weekend we've had in a long time. I haven't even done a load of laundry (yet), almost unheard of. It's Easter Sunday, for those who celebrate or recognize the day. For me, it's always simply meant an opportunity to enjoy rebirth, welcome spring, and eat dessert.

Yesterday was just about as perfect a day as comes along. After fulfilling our favorite Spring past time, egg dying, we spent the rest of the day with My Boring Best. He took us on quite an adventure, leading us through caves, and scaling rock formations in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. To his credit, it was an extraordinarily brave feat, not being able to predict who would poop out first or whether the youngest among us could stomach the hike. Turns out she gave us quite a run for our money. MBB and Son of Mando Mama enjoyed some good picture taking and caving while daughter and I peeked into hobbit holes.

Having the weather, the time, and the reason not to do laundry, not to run errands, not to vacuum for the third time this week was pretty darn satisfying. We ate great Mexican food out of take out containers, covered our sidewalk in chalk drawings, watched MBB chase a frisbee in his socks and take a beating from Daughter of MM with swimming noodles, and watched a movie.

Can I make the leap to doing nothing once in a while? I guess I can try. It's hard not to feel that if every minute isn't used wisely, somehow it's costing me something. I realize that's ridiculous, but it's true. What will cost me is missing the kinds of moments like I had today, smiling so much that my face hurt.

Time flies. Kids grow. Opportunities pass. Of these truths I'm reminded this weekend, and how good it is to have a satisfied mind.


Satisfied Mind

How many times have you heard someone say

If I had his money I'd do things my way
But little they know that it's so hard to find
One rich man in ten with a satisfied mind

Once I was winning in fortune and fame
I had all that I needed to get a start in life's game
Then suddenly it happened, I lost every dime
I'm better off now, with a satisfied mind

Cause money can't buy back your youth when you're old
Or a friend when you're lonesome, or a love that's grown cold
And the wealthiest person is a pauper at times
Compared to the man with a satisfied mind

When this life is ended, my time has run out
My friends and my loved ones I'll leave, there's no doubt
But one thing for certain, when I've served my time
I'll leave this old world with a satisfied mind

8 Comments:

At April 16, 2006 4:50 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

My Jenny is growing up...now if I can you to sit and watch some TV wihout jumping up every 3 minutes then I will have taught you someting worthwhile.... LOL

 
At April 16, 2006 7:48 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Hey you,
Yes, I'm beginning to catch on. I'll sit and watch TV if you'll come down and walk in the woods with us!

Oh my gosh, my word veryify starts with "Jud" -LOL!

 
At April 16, 2006 10:16 PM, Blogger Darkneuro said...

Hate to tell you, Mando... You did use the time wisely... You recharged ;)

 
At April 17, 2006 5:13 AM, Blogger My Boring Best said...

Hey,

I had a blast with you and the kids. I cannot wait to go again.

One thing - I hate that pic of me! My belly is sticking out!!! It's okay, though. I like how A. is looking up at me with that hat on. So, I guess I can't complain.

Seriously, thanks for getting me outta the house and into so much fun. :-)

J

 
At April 17, 2006 6:06 AM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Hey there,

Neuro, you hit it on the nose. I still haven't done any laundry! I think it's a record.

Jim, who has time to be concerned about a little belly cleavage while trying to frame the perfect shot with direction from a five-year-old? You were such a trooper. I think A. has reminded me five times that next time we need flashlights. I'm pretty sure they're ready to go back. Thanks for an awesome afternoon.

-mm

 
At April 18, 2006 9:05 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Hey LBC, that's for sure. I keep reminding myself that these little people will only be little for a while longer, and then, I will turn into someone with whom they refuse to be seen.

Yeah, that Jim, he's nothing if not honest! He just happens to say what most guys merely think. Truth be told, most of us old timers do tend to see our own "flaws" (by other people's standards) first and are naturally compelled to talk about them. I am the Duchess of Self-Deprecation. You'll notice my own mug is not very prominently displayed although a corner or two may squeak through in the future.

 
At April 20, 2006 10:38 AM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Wellll, LBC, you're right. I am mostly happy with me, and am even starting to think it's time to let the grey hang out. I admit I'm still getting over the First Wife complex...when I actually get to thinking about whether I'll ever "hook up" again, it's then that I start to fret about my odds against The Dewy Dating Pool, the shortage of men who have their philandering worked out of their systems but are still young enough to walk without oxygen, etc. Then there is the kid factor and that whole single mom thing. But overall, gosh darn it, I'd say I'm in my own pool! Ah, if only...a frothy mixed beverage complete with umbrella, some live music, and a small army of cabana boys at the ready....

Ok, I'm back, now.

 
At April 21, 2006 12:28 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Hi Mick,
Whoa! Thanks for stopping by. I love taking my kids anywhere I can legally get away with it. ;-) My son took that photo, so I'll pass your compliment on to him. Looks like we'll have to get your book if we want to get better at our caving expeditions! You have a wonderful blog, beautiful photos. I'm inspired. If I had more confidence in my math skills, I might have become a rock hound myself. I loved all things geology, still do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home