Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Girl Friday #2: For Get Up and Go Girls

I realized recently that many of the women I'm fondest of or closest to share at least one life characteristic: at one point or another, they started over, like yours truly.

Starting over is NEVER easy. But sometimes the only thing to do is to just turn the damn page, already. My mother did it, when my dad died. My sister and I both did it, with little kids in tow. A greater number of my friends did it, friends who share the same parenting and other values that I do. We all did it, and survived, and many wonderful women I meet now through this blog are doing it, recreating their lives without the nasty aftertaste of a bad relationship.

It's a wonderful thing. Sure, it can get pretty scary and downright lonely sometimes. Usually, however, in some way, it's worth it.

This song is for all those women who are struggling with, managing through, or riding the wave of massive self-motivated change in their lives. It's for all of you who have had to tolerate pompous, arrogant blowhards or been victims of your own kindness toward cunning emotional vampires. Whatever brings you to liberate yourselves will fade in the light thrown by your own sizzling comet. Go supernova.

(Stormy-looking picture by Shannon from our 2003 trip to OBX.)



Blow Big Wind
(Ooh! Ooh! Click on the title to hear Laurie Lewis do the whole thing!
And here's a challenge: I may be messing up some of the lyrics for the second verse, and I couldn't find 'em online. If you can figure 'em out I'll think of something special just for YOU. Unless, of course, you're Laurie Lewis, because, well, unfair advantage ok? )

When you first claimed my heart
I was starved for understanding
So I planted a garden where none grew before
But the seeds would not take hold
In this harsh and barren land
And the only peace I found was in the eye of the storm

So Blow Big Wind, like the storm on the sea
Blow, big wind, you can't shake me

(fiddle solo)

Well I've been I guess I've been a ?
Or maybe just a fool
To ever think the storms would ever cease
But I just craved your touch
And tho the summers were short
They'd always bring sweet release

So blow, big wind, like the storm on the sea
Blow big wind, you can't shake me

(mando solo)

Well now I've pulled up my stakes
Packed up my bags
Tho' I can't stop my heart from grievin'
When the next storm comes rollin' in it won't catch me
Cause everything is over by believin'

So blow, big wind, like the storm on the sea
Blow, big wind, you can't shake me
You can't shake me

8 Comments:

At February 17, 2006 8:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did it, and my mother has just recently survived it.
Thanks for such an empowering post. I'm loving "Girl Friday." :-)

 
At February 17, 2006 9:00 AM, Blogger Shannon said...

thanks for the credit strong woman....

 
At February 17, 2006 8:17 PM, Blogger Darkneuro said...

Optimist... The first line, last word, 2nd verse? Optimist.
I guess i've been an optimist
or maybe just a fool

Beautiful song, great post.

 
At February 17, 2006 10:30 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Hey everybody!

Shan, you're welcome, you Power Ranger, you. Your photography is just another area of your underutilized creativity so I'm happy to show you off.

Cass, I had no idea until I read the other comment. It truly blows my mind how many of us have taken "practice runs". Hope your mom is doing well.

HOLY COW, Neuro! That's IT, that's IT exactly! LOL! OK, you gotta get a prize...maybe some road trip music to get you through part of your journey east? How many days do I have? lol

 
At February 18, 2006 9:17 AM, Blogger Darkneuro said...

ROFL... Actually, it's unfair advantage. I just ran it through slow and loud... It usually works for a variety of lyrics :) And I'm already converting over your catalog to use on the road ;)

 
At February 18, 2006 11:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

aww, thank you for visiting my site.

yeah, music is therapy indeed. it's like having a friend right by your side, listening and empathizing.

which speaking of, i love this post.

*hugs* hope you have a happy weekend! :)

 
At February 19, 2006 10:21 AM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Hey Jenny,
It took me way too long to stop by your blog and comment. I admire your courage and spirit, you always have a positive spin to put on the worst situations. Welcome to the ranks of women who have started over. XO.

Neuro, you crack me up, you're such a techie. And there should be a prize, I could have gone my entire life flubbing that lyric but now I won't have to! You're aces! :-)

 
At November 09, 2009 5:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The last line is "everything's over but the leavin'".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home