Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Well, Butter My Biscuits! The Bluegrass Express is Comin' to Town!

Well, how about that! That legendary bucket of bolts that has carried many a bluegrass band around the country is pulling into tiny Wadsworth, Ohio this Friday, with Rhonda Vincent and the Rage!

When I first fell for bluegrass, it was the music all the way. But I have to admit, these oddball, time-honored traditions certainly have grown on me. The Bluegrass Express (click for a sample) is just one, hooked up however it may be with another Southern favorite, Martha White. (One of my favorite bands, Hot Rize, takes its name from Martha's secret ingredient.) Twas Martha that put Earl Scruggs, Lester Flatt, and the Foggy Mountain Boys on the bus in the first place, about 50 years ago!

And now, thanks to local boys Tim and Richard Smucker (yes, of those fine jams and jellies made in nearby Orrville, Ohio), who purchased the Martha White Baking Company a couple years back, making those visits to Ohio even more frequent for Rhonda and her ragin' band. They are one fantastic collection of incredible talent, so be sure to make 'em welcome when the B.E. pulls into your home state!

3 Comments:

At February 01, 2006 1:03 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Hi, Michael!

Thanks for stopping by! Clever poem...gets right at one of the mysteries to me: where are all the people of color, who, thank you, invented the banjo?!

Check out the Black Texican collection amassed by Alan Lomax. I'm a woman born too late.

Stop by again, and thanks!

 
At February 01, 2006 4:27 PM, Blogger My Boring Best said...

Hey Mando-licious,

The blog is looking good! Thanks for the link.

j

 
At February 02, 2006 11:03 PM, Blogger Darkneuro said...

... I cannot WAIT to move to TN. I am SO becoming a show-goer.

Gawrsh...You put me in smarty links... Wow ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home