Thursday, January 12, 2006

Don't Give Me That Ol' Time Religion




Hello trad fans,

I’m going out on a limb, here, knowing that much of the traditional and bluegrass community is also entrenched in old-time gospel music. I know a number of artists who are squarely secular in their music and in their livin’. Personally, there is music that I love in both camps.

But this event today just drew into razor-sharp relief for me what is wrong with religious fervor.
Almost 350 people were killed -- at least that's the number we have at the moment -- in a stampede at a ceremony designed to thwart the devil. Now, what the devil is up with that?

I’m reminded of some of the more evangelical churches, and how folks tend to gettin’ whipped up in a God-fearin’ frenzy enough to cause a ruckus akin’ to this here. And we have more than a few examples throughout history of the bloody mess religion can leave behind. While I have a personal conviction about the meaning of religion in my own life, my definition certainly does not encompass this kind of tragedy. In the words of those very nonbluegrass boys Hall and Oates, I don’t go for that.

Not one to lose my sense of humor in times of trouble, I hesitate to tell you that this is the song that popped into my head when I heard the news about the hajj. Couldn’t help myself.

By the way, you might be able to hear it performed live if you come by the Kent Stage on January 24 when we'll be treate to The Wilders, a wonderiffic trad band that I first heard back at Grey Fox in 2004. They are a real live blast from the past, and the kind I can live with.


Sing along, now:
Gimme That Old Time Religion
http://www.wilderscountry.com/mp3/Gospel/2%20Old%20Time%20Religion.mp3

Chorus: Gimme that old time religion
Gimme that old time religion
Gimme that old time religion
It’s good enough for me.

It was good for the Hebrew children
It was good for the Hebrew children
It was good for the Hebrew children
And it’s good enough for me.

It will do when the world's on fire
It will do when the world's on fire
It will do when the world's on fire
And it’s good enough for me.

It was good for our mothers
It was good for our mothers
It was good for our mothers
And it's good enough for me

Makes me love everybody
Makes me love everybody
Makes me love everybody
That's good enough for me

Chorus: Gimme that old time religion
Gimme that old time religion
Gimme that old time religion
It’s good enough for me

2 Comments:

At January 13, 2006 3:52 AM, Blogger My Boring Best said...

Now that's a great post! (By the way, I'm checking this at 4AM. I just woke up after falling asleep in my work clothes for the night. Ugh.)

 
At January 13, 2006 6:59 AM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Uh, TMI, Jimmy. (Ok, it could be worse.) But, glad you liked it. I meant to direct folks to your post on End of Faith but forgot; maybe I'll go back and do that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home