Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Full Moon Fever

There are few things I enjoy so well as gazing at a beautiful full moon. A harvest moon is my favorite, hanging low and full and orange in the sky.

Today's full moon got me to thinkin' about how many bluegrass and traditional old-timey songs must have the word "moon" in the title, or the lyric. I challenge myself to find them all. Aren't you thrilled?

So to start things off, here is one of the world's best known Moon ballads, by none other than the man who started it all, Bill Monroe. When Elvis was seeking permission from Mr. Monroe to record "Blue Moon of Kentucky", Monroe said, "Son, if you can make some money on it, go right ahead." There ya go. Bluegrass musicians are entrepreneurs.

Enjoy. Stop by and sing with me when you get a chance.

Artist: Bill Monroe Tabs/ChordsSong: Blue Moon Of Kentucky Tab
Blue Moon Of Kentucky, by Mr. Bill Monroe
(Elvis and the rockabilly's do this in 4/4, most blugrass players prefer
3/4)

1st verse
A D
Blue Moon, blue moon
A E
blue moon keep shining bright
A
Blue moon keep on shining bright
D
You gonna bring me back my baby tonight
A A
Blue Moon keep shining bright

2nd Verse
A D
I said blue moon of Kentucky keep on shining
A E
shine on the one that's gone and left me blue
A D
I said blue moon of Kentucky keep on shining
A E A
Shine on the one that's gone and left me blue

Bridge
D
Well it was on one moonlight night
A
Stars shining bright
D
Whisper on high
A E
Love said goodbye

A D
Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shining
A E A
Shine on the one that's gone and left me blue

Repeat Second verse
Bridge

1 Comments:

At November 15, 2005 5:17 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

Must be a starry.Moony type of week... check out my post on Starry night....

so looking forward to Saturday!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home